Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone do tutoring or take classes and do lecturing?
    Note: while in high school (A Levels)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you need a tutor, visit: mytutor.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria.3)
    If you need a tutor, visit: mytutor.com
    No, I want to be a tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajbir Nahin)
    No, I want to be a tutor.
    you can apply to be one on there

ReputationRep:
    oh, thanks. I live in London

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have a degree you should aim to tutor young kids for things like the 11+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe312)
    If you don't have a degree you should aim to tutor young kids for things like the 11+
    Yeah. I was thinking so.
    I can teach 16+ as I have much knowledge of Mathematics and Physics and I have also been to BMO, BPhO, BAAO, IJSO, CERN Internship and a lot other competitions but I won't because I don't think anyone will let me teach sixth form students as I am also a A Levels candidate.
    But I hope to teach GCSE students. I won't feel comfortable to teach 11+ kids. What would I teach them of Maths and sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I was thinking so.
    I can teach 16+ as I have much knowledge of Mathematics and Physics and I have also been to BMO, BPhO, BAAO, IJSO, CERN Internship and a lot other competitions but I won't because I don't think anyone will let me teach sixth form students as I am also a A Levels candidate.
    But I hope to teach GCSE students. I won't feel comfortable to teach 11+ kids. What would I teach them of Maths and sciences.
    Typically tutors are required to have the qualification a level above what they are tutoring. Since you don't have your A levels yet, you don't have the qualification above GCSE level.

However if you're a great student and communicator you can make it work. How do you plan to find students though?

ReputationRep:
    Typically tutors are required to have the qualification a level above what they are tutoring. Since you don't have your A levels yet, you don't have the qualification above GCSE level.

However if you're a great student and communicator you can make it work. How do you plan to find students though?
    Actually I was thinking of asking to my school teachers. Do you have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Actually I was thinking of asking to my school teachers. Do you have any suggestions?
    You are likely to get only a few students doing that, though that may be all you want. However if you want more, you should ask teachers in other schools. Perhaps teachers in your current school would write a letter of recommendation for you to help with that.

ReputationRep:
    You are likely to get only a few students doing that, though that may be all you want. However if you want more, you should ask teachers in other schools. Perhaps teachers in your current school would write a letter of recommendation for you to help with that.
    What do you think of agencies?

ReputationRep:
    I tutored GCSE Maths bit during my A Levels and have continued to do it into my gap year. I was in a local community FB group and commented on a post about someone looking for a maths tutor, suddenly had a load of mums in my inbox asking if I could tutor their child haha. Obviously I explained I wasn't professional etc but nobody seems to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethnay99)
    I tutored GCSE Maths bit during my A Levels and have continued to do it into my gap year. I was in a local community FB group and commented on a post about someone looking for a maths tutor, suddenly had a load of mums in my inbox asking if I could tutor their child haha. Obviously I explained I wasn't professional etc but nobody seems to mind.
    wow! Great. How was your experience?
    Do you live in London? How much they paid?

ReputationRep:
    wow! Great. How was your experience?
    Do you live in London? How much they paid?
    Great I love it No, Manchester. £10ph so very cheap but again, not a professional so can't expect high prices. But I reckon you could get maybe £15ph? Whatever you feel comfortable charging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethnay99)
    Great I love it No, Manchester. £10ph so very cheap but again, not a professional so can't expect high prices. But I reckon you could get maybe £15ph? Whatever you feel comfortable charging
    Oh. Awesome! One of my cousin lives in Manchester.
    Yeah, £10/h is cheap but we aren't professional. So can't demand so much.
    yes it's true that I expect more than 10.
    Actually I am from a poor family so I have to earn for my studies. I am a book lover. so I also need money for this.

It was great to talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of agencies?
    Most agencies will require you to have a degree I'm afraid. If you design an email which emphasises that you are very serious about tutoring and list a lot of good reasons why they should give you a chance, then some might. It might be worth a shot.

Bethnay90's suggestions are great. You need to figure out other ways to get exposure like using facebook groups as she suggests.

For the pay rate, you could get around £15-20/hour in London as an unexperienced tutor with no degree. Of course if you can sell yourself really well and do a great job then you could convince people to pay you more, like £25-30. Depends how good a salesperson you are, and how well you can back up your sales pitch!

Of course this all raises the question of why you don't get a normal job. Tutoring is very time-consuming just to get started in it, and there's a lot of luck involved.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.