The Student Room Group

Ask Me A Question! - Paul - ex MD SKYChefs ltd - Now Business Partner @Lloyds Bank

Wish we had a site like this back in my day. Fire away
Best and Worst parts of your job?:holmes:
Does the MD stand for managing director?

If so, please could you answer these questions, either about your old or new job? Thanks!:smile:

1. What is the main structure of your day- do you speak with clients and/or business partners, or are you invlolved almost entirely in meetings?

2. Did you study a degree, and which ones are the most suitable for this career?

3. Realistically (please be honest!) are people who have done an apprenticeship regarded as equal to those who have done a degree?- Is someone with the degree more liekly to get the promotion than someone who did an apprenticeship?

4. Are there any pieces of literature or inspiring people that you look up to to mirror some of your actions?

5. What is the break-down of skills you use- maths, problem-solving, people skills, writing reports, presenting, or others?
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
Best and Worst parts of your job?:holmes:

I will start with the worst. I am 54 right now and for the past six maybe seven years, I have not had more than 5 hours of sleep. I can also tell you that having a job in either the accounting or banking industry limits your family commitments... Exceptionally. I have had three divorces in my life. All of them had essentially come down to the limited amount of hours I was able to spend with my loved ones. At a developing, international company in management, you could easily compare the stress to that of a Doctor.

The best? With focus, it's extremely easy to work your way up, especially as an accountant. I remember being flown out to Bangkok in first class at the age of 27 to give a half hour presentation. By then I was already a finance officer. Regarding banking, the salary is unbelievable & as long as you don't get to director level, the hours of work are much better.
Reply 4
Original post by gingerbread10000
Does the MD stand for managing director?

If so, please could you answer these questions, either about your old or new job? Thanks!:smile:

1. What is the main structure of your day- do you speak with clients and/or business partners, or are you invlolved almost entirely in meetings?

2. Did you study a degree, and which ones are the most suitable for this career?

3. Realistically (please be honest!) are people who have done an apprenticeship regarded as equal to those who have done a degree?- Is someone with the degree more liekly to get the promotion than someone who did an apprenticeship?

4. Are there any pieces of literature or inspiring people that you look up to to mirror some of your actions?

5. What is the break-down of skills you use- maths, problem-solving, people skills, writing reports, presenting, or others?

PQ: Yes it does

1: Board Meetings, Supervision over the company as a whole, Presentations, Presentations, Presentations.

2: Yes, accounting at Manchester University (BA back in my day). For my career it could it be anything. It all depends on how quick you want to get there. The degree I took basically fast tracked me ahead a year from anyone who didn't take a financially related degree. You work your way up and once your high enough, banking is definitely an option. Even if you started as an accountant, actuary, statistician.

3: In the companies that I have worked for? Mostly no. Apprentices normally don't see much progression. That is, if they don't participate in any more education. However some choose to do further qualifications that make them stand out. I highly look up at these and most if not all international companies offer them. It all comes down to competition and who you know.

4: Napoleon by Vincent Cronin I thoroughly and have always believed, the best leaders are those with passion. Passion will get you anywhere in life.
5: I believe anybody with extensive experience in any business sector could probably do my job! All the skills you mentioned are skills we typically require off any recruit looking to join the company. It's just about how effective you are in displaying & using them.
Reply 5
Original post by Paul667
Wish we had a site like this back in my day. Fire away

Hello, please check your private messages!

What specific job do you do at lloyds? Do you get a share of profits through carried interest?
Original post by Paul667
PQ: Yes it does

1: Board Meetings, Supervision over the company as a whole, Presentations, Presentations, Presentations.

2: Yes, accounting at Manchester University (BA back in my day). For my career it could it be anything. It all depends on how quick you want to get there. The degree I took basically fast tracked me ahead a year from anyone who didn't take a financially related degree. You work your way up and once your high enough, banking is definitely an option. Even if you started as an accountant, actuary, statistician.

3: In the companies that I have worked for? Mostly no. Apprentices normally don't see much progression. That is, if they don't participate in any more education. However some choose to do further qualifications that make them stand out. I highly look up at these and most if not all international companies offer them. It all comes down to competition and who you know.

4: Napoleon by Vincent Cronin I thoroughly and have always believed, the best leaders are those with passion. Passion will get you anywhere in life.
5: I believe anybody with extensive experience in any business sector could probably do my job! All the skills you mentioned are skills we typically require off any recruit looking to join the company. It's just about how effective you are in displaying & using them.

Wow! This is very useful information, thank you for your response. Good luck with your new job :goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending