The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Accommodation Disappointment

I took a while to choose a uni for next year and eventually chose Sheffield over unis like Leeds and Manchester, partly because I thought the accommodation looked better and I thought I'd have a better time there. However, I didn't think about how this year the accommodation is virtually first come, first served and therefore when I went to go choose it yesterday I got stuck with the worst of whatever is left. I chose a small single sex room in Burbage when I wanted a mixed sex room in a better block.

Is there anything I can do about the lack of good accommodation left and can anyone make me feel better about staying in Burbage? I'm just disappointed to feel like I won't get the uni experience I hoped for when I haven't even started yet.

Scroll to see replies

If you email the accommodation with this query they'll be able to help. I don't think that they've released all the rooms yet? Well at least they hadn't a week ago or so. Also remember that not everybody who reserved a room will end up staying there, people won't get the grades, or they may go through UCAS adjustment etc
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
You could apply for private accommodation. Won't be as social as university accommodation but you'll be close to uni and it will be cheaper.
Reply 3
Thank you, I emailed the accommodation team and they said that there would be more accommodation being released. It might not be what I was looking for but hopefully it'll help.

The social life is what I'm looking for so I wasn't considering private accommodation but thank you for your response.

In case I'm not able to find anything better, does anyone have any stories of not getting the accommodation you want and it working out or about Burbage? Thanks in advance
Reply 4
I've not yet applied for accomodation as I've only just firmed too, I'm worried I'm going to face the same problem, do you know which blocks/room sizes were left available, I haven't had my confirmation email yet.
Reply 5
Original post by MJ1199
I've not yet applied for accomodation as I've only just firmed too, I'm worried I'm going to face the same problem, do you know which blocks/room sizes were left available, I haven't had my confirmation email yet.

There wasn't much mixed accommodation left at all in Endcliffe and a little bit more in Ranmoor, the amount of single sex accommodation probably varies depending on which gender you are. Hopefully they will release some more and you'll be okay! It's just frustrating
Accommodation is being given out already!? I didn't know about this, how come? Is it when you firm it? I'm still waiting on UCL to give a decision. :frown: I might just withdraw.
Reply 7
Original post by Dominicque2
Accommodation is being given out already!? I didn't know about this, how come? Is it when you firm it? I'm still waiting on UCL to give a decision. :frown: I might just withdraw.

Sadly it is, I was quite disappointed when I found out. Still haven't made my mind up about which uni I want to go to yet but I feel really pressured into firming (trying to get out of that mindset though). Try not to worry, they are gradually releasing blocks of accommodation at a time I believe (that's what I was told when I phoned up).

edit: It is when you firm it that you get to choose your accommodation.
(edited 5 years ago)
I just firmed my application earlier today. How long until I can actually apply for an accommodation? Really disappointing to hear that places are already gone but I'm still hoping for the best...
Reply 9
this literally happened to me today!!!! I've had the biggest meltdown over it and emailed the accommodation people. relieved someone else has found this problem i just thought i left it mega late !
Reply 10
I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this position! It is really frustrating, hopefully I'll end up meeting people and having a good time even if I don't get a good flat anyway. Does anyone know what day the new set of accommodation will be released?
Original post by olivialr
I'm so glad I'm not the only one in this position! It is really frustrating, hopefully I'll end up meeting people and having a good time even if I don't get a good flat anyway. Does anyone know what day the new set of accommodation will be released?

I'm sure the Sheffield accomadation staff will have explored this "first come first served" situation, I've emailed them too as I'm going to be studying there this September
Reply 12
Original post by olivialr

I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of your flat :smile: I'm going to give the uni a ring tomorrow to ask a few questions about the next set of accommodation and that. I basically had a meltdown a week ago when I found out, my close friend was telling me how she booked hers and all her flatmates are fab (inside I was genuinely screaming "WMRNWEBJANISNIEUUS WHAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT").
Original post by Flocoa
I'm sure you will have a great time regardless of your flat :smile: I'm going to give the uni a ring tomorrow to ask a few questions about the next set of accommodation and that. I basically had a meltdown a week ago when I found out, my close friend was telling me how she booked hers and all her flatmates are fab (inside I was genuinely screaming "WMRNWEBJANISNIEUUS WHAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT":wink:.

Same:frown: the new system is ridiculous and my friends all firmed way before me
Reply 14
Original post by meediaabid
Same:frown: the new system is ridiculous and my friends all firmed way before me

Totally agree. I did put my critiques forward to the accommodation people on the phone, in some aspects it is incredible (like if you were dead set on Sheffield from the get go) but it really does disadvantage the people who are weighing up their choices :frown:

The only thing that makes me really excited is the course (which seems to be getting me through the whole accommodation debacle!).
I've been checking incessantly to see if the student house I signed up for received any more people- and they all appeared out of no-where over night!! Seriously, what's going on?

(12 Endcliffe crescent here)
(edited 5 years ago)
I should also add that they will be opening more places later on in the year! There will still be "emergency" places available for those who decide to come to sheffield AFTER they get their A-level results back (and offer)
Reply 17
i got an email this morning saying the other accommodations are being released tomorrow!! Happy days!!!
Original post by LJX99
i got an email this morning saying the other accommodations are being released tomorrow!! Happy days!!!

w00t
Original post by splrtgrt
I should also add that they will be opening more places later on in the year! There will still be "emergency" places available for those who decide to come to sheffield AFTER they get their A-level results back (and offer)

The thing is how it previously worked is they would not start giving out accommodation until after your offer became unconditional, so the large majority of people wouldn't be getting their accommodation until after results day.

The advantage of the new system is that it seems to give you more choice in the flat and room you go into, the downside is it's going to screw over a lot of people who are still deciding on their uni. I think the people who decide on/after results day may end up getting the better end of the deal compared to those who decide late, but still before results day, as places in Sheffield 3 will then be opened up for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending