Turn on thread page Beta

How bad is this for a 27 year old? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is my first year living in a shared house and this person is really beginning to annoy me. Am I wrong for thinking he's an absolute manchild?

Shouts at vidoegames up to 2:30 daily (in fairness he stopped after we talked about it)
    Gets up at 2 in afternoon daily
    Doesn't lock the front door when he goes out, although he does when he comes back in
    Seems to have very little life experience/"adult" knowledge
    Seems to have absolutely no money, doesn't go to lectures and went back out with a 19 yo after she kissed another guy right in front of him (I know this just seems *****y now but trying to give some context of his constant ********)

Sorry for the rant I just can't stand him anymore. It's a shame because I really liked him last year, and never expected him to behave like this. Have I just got very unlucky or is this sort of person fairly common when you share?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsfgdg)
    This is my first year living in a shared house and this person is really beginning to annoy me. Am I wrong for thinking he's an absolute manchild?

Shouts at vidoegames up to 2:30 daily (in fairness he stopped after we talked about it)
    Gets up at 2 in afternoon daily
    Doesn't lock the front door when he goes out, although he does when he comes back in
    Seems to have very little life experience/"adult" knowledge
    Seems to have absolutely no money, doesn't go to lectures and went back out with a 19 yo after she kissed another guy right in front of him (I know this just seems *****y now but trying to give some context of his constant ********)

Sorry for the rant I just can't stand him anymore. It's a shame because I really liked him last year, and never expected him to behave like this. Have I just got very unlucky or is this sort of person fairly common when you share?

why are you b*tching about him?

The only thing on that list which was worth complaining about was the yelling at computer games at 2:30am in the morning - which he stopped after you asked him to

the rest is just you sticking your nose into business that doesn't concern you

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the rant I just can't stand him anymore. It's a shame because I really liked him last year, and never expected him to behave like this.
    You say you really liked him last year? Did he seem different then? Is it possible he's going through some sort of mental health difficulties? Some of the things you've listed could be the result of depression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)

The only thing on that list which was worth complaining about was the yelling at computer games at 2:30am in the morning - which he stopped after you asked him to

I always assumed it went without saying to lock the doors?

I'm not usually snobby, if it appears that way it's probably just due to the gradual build up of little things.

ReputationRep:

Well, not locking the door isn't great, but you're right about the rest.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Not really seeing your point. You can think what you like, but find it a bit mystifying as to why you should care or judge? Why does it matter to you?

Shouts at vidoegames up to 2:30 daily (in fairness he stopped after we talked about it) [ lots of people play videogames]
    Gets up at 2 in afternoon daily {sp what?]
    Doesn't lock the front door when he goes out, although he does when he comes back in [If its a house rule to lock it, then speak to him again]
    Seems to have very little life experience/"adult" knowledge [So what?]
    Seems to have absolutely no money, doesn't go to lectures and went back out with a 19 yo after she kissed another guy right in front of him (I know this just seems *****y now but trying to give some context of his constant ********) [So what? Not seeing how this affects you? ]

I cant see any of how any of this affects you, except maybe locking the door?

If you dont like him, then dont be friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sataris)
    You say you really liked him last year? Did he seem different then? Is it possible he's going through some sort of mental health difficulties? Some of the things you've listed could be the result of depression
    He did, but looking back on it I should have realised he was going to be at least partially like this.

I do partially suspect he's got something going on at home, but he gets aggressive when anyone tries talking to him about it. Unfortunately we did have a very nasty argument which has made things completely different so I'm just waiting for him to move out really.

ReputationRep:
    I always assumed it went without saying to lock the doors?

I'm not usually snobby, if it appears that way it's probably just due to the gradual build up of little things.
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Well, not locking the door isn't great, but you're right about the rest.

missed that one.

but what do you mean not locking the front door

do you mean he walks out the house every day and does not shut the door behind him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not really seeing your point. You can think what you like, but find it a bit mystifying as to why you should care or judge? Why does it matter to you?

Shouts at vidoegames up to 2:30 daily (in fairness he stopped after we talked about it) [ lots of people play videogames]
    Gets up at 2 in afternoon daily {sp what?]
    Doesn't lock the front door when he goes out, although he does when he comes back in [If its a house rule to lock it, then speak to him again]
    Seems to have very little life experience/"adult" knowledge [So what?]
    Seems to have absolutely no money, doesn't go to lectures and went back out with a 19 yo after she kissed another guy right in front of him (I know this just seems *****y now but trying to give some context of his constant ********) [So what? Not seeing how this affects you? ]

I cant see any of how any of this affects you, except maybe locking the door?

If you dont like him, then dont be friends
    Lol maybe I'm just a snob. I've talked to a few (none-family) adults about it and they said it was odd, so I assumed it wasn't me but if everyone is saying it's not maybe I'm just a snob after all.

ReputationRep:
    missed that one.

but what do you mean not locking the front door

do you mean he walks out the house every day and does not shut the door behind him?
    Doesn't lock the door when he goes out, up to about an hour but most often 30 minutes. He does lock it most the time when he comes back in.

I've asked him to and he says "no, nobodies going to come in".

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't lock the door when he goes out, up to about an hour but most often 30 minutes. He does lock it most the time when he comes back in.

I've asked him to and he says "no, nobodies going to come in".

if he's leaving the door open like that and won't change his ways then inform the landlord .......and trust me, the landlord will do something about it as his property is at risk.....

ReputationRep:
    if he's leaving the door open like that and won't change his ways then inform the landlord .......and trust me, the landlord will do something about it as his property is at risk.....
    I've been considering this since my bikes in the hallway...., I just don't want to escalate things.

Is it definitely a standard thing to lock the door even if you only go out for 30 minutes?

ReputationRep:
    TBH I agree with the OP, these behvaiours are mostly pretty childish, and the older you are the more annoying they are to live with

I had someone v similar, a guy i was good mates with for years beforehand (but i knew had been a bit spoiled and lacked life exp) and we got a flat together with me thinking 'aw how bad can it be? i'll just need to show him the ropes of stuff a bit?'

Oh god, the near same laundry list of complaints

Playing loud shooting games at 2-3am....when he already knows there is neighbours below and a baby's room right below him, he didn't like answering the door so guess who kept getting shouted at by a red faced mum holding a screaming a baby? yep muggins here

Same with getting up in afternoon, his life, he can sleep when he wants, but it's a bit of a red neck for me if i've got guests or family over and he comes slouching in in a dressing gown bits flopping about time and time again...

*****y with money too, always got cash for games and junk food, but when it came to rent and bills was always 'can i give you it a bit later'? ..well, no? it's due TODAY?

Didn't lock the door either, went away and left it wide open several times, i woke up from a nap once hearing the police coming in. No end of other crap, not cleaning, leaving plugs half in sockets...blocking the hall with 3 friggin bikes....$%&$....

Get shot of them, for the sake of your own mental health as it'll drive you up the bend. I can see a lot of folk don't see it that way, and they'll be a lot of 'he can do what he wants' but the short answer is the older you get the more behaviour like that drives you up the friggin wall when you're trying to do things responsibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriderHort)
    TBH I agree with the OP, these behvaiours are mostly pretty childish, and the older you are the more annoying they are to live with

I had someone v similar, a guy i was good mates with for years beforehand (but i knew had been a bit spoiled and lacked life exp) and we got a flat together with me thinking 'aw how bad can it be? i'll just need to show him the ropes of stuff a bit?'

Playing loud shooting games at 2-3am....when he already knows there is neighbours below and a baby's room right below him, he didn't like answering the door so guess who kept getting shouted at by a red faced mum holding a screaming a baby? yep muggins here

Same with getting up in afternoon, his life, he can sleep when he wants, but it's a bit of a red neck for me if i've got guests or family over and he comes slouching in in a dressing gown bits flopping about time and time again...

*****y with money too, always got cash for games and junk food, but when it came to rent and bills was always 'can i give you it a bit later'? ..well, no? it's due TODAY?

Didn't lock the door either, went away and left it wide open several times, i woke up from a nap once hearing the police coming in. No end of other crap, not cleaning, leaving plugs half in sockets...blocking the hall with 3 friggin bikes....$%&$....

Get shot of them, for the sake of your own mental health as it'll drive you up the bend. I can see a lot of folk don't see it that way, and they'll be a lot of 'he can do what he wants' but the short answer is the older you get the more behaviour like that drives you up the friggin wall when you're trying to do things responsibly.
    Yeah this is pretty much what I think about the situation, although most people my age seem to think it's acceptable (even though the rest don't do it themselves). Not going with him next year.

ReputationRep:
    The only major issue here is not locking the front door. I can see a problem with not waking up until 2pm though as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is pretty much what I think about the situation, although most people my age seem to think it's acceptable (even though the rest don't do it themselves). Not going with him next year.
    I dunno where the age line is really, but it seems to be close to 30 when a lot of people start getting sick of crap like that. Don't get me wrong I was EXACTLY as much of an irresponsible happy go lucky waster in my teens and early 20s as well and shared flats with all sorts in chaos, great fun at the time but my intolerance of that sort of disruption has def come with age, past a point sharing your living space with randoms feels less of an option and you look at at differently.

ReputationRep:
    Each to their own and I'm not going to judge someone for living their life differently, but I personally wouldn't be able to live like this at 27

That said, it's his life and his decision. You can't change someone to live the way YOU think is acceptable.

ReputationRep:

Did your friendship survive?

ReputationRep:
    Did your friendship survive?
    Uhh...no...it really REALLY didn't :P

I basically grew to despise the guy and really resent him being in my space and i'm sure he felt the same, to have saved the friendship we'd really have had to have moved out a good year or two before we did. So it all ended v messily.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno where the age line is really, but it seems to be close to 30 when a lot of people start getting sick of crap like that. Don't get me wrong I was EXACTLY as much of an irresponsible happy go lucky waster in my teens and early 20s as well and shared flats with all sorts in chaos, great fun at the time but my intolerance of that sort of disruption has def come with age, past a point sharing your living space with randoms feels less of an option and you look at at differently.
    Maybe it is just me then... The rest of us are 20/21. Although I wouldn't care at all if his ******** didn't effect me but the videogames/door do.

(Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Each to their own and I'm not going to judge someone for living their life differently, but I personally wouldn't be able to live like this at 27

That said, it's his life and his decision. You can't change someone to live the way YOU think is acceptable.
    I think it's ridiculous/embarrasing a 27yo playing video games until 3 every day (and all the other stuff I mentioned), but I'd never tell them to stop. It's the stuff which affects me personally like shouting/door which I can't stand, it's just inconsiderate.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.