The Student Room Group

Plagiarism? Group member's work accounts for majority 27/31% of similarity score

thank you everyone
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Elise213
I've just checked the similarity report and this girl's section is literally highlighted from beginning to end. I won't say she plagiarised because about 70% of her section includes a citation (should be all but lol). There's hardly any of her own work from her brain!

Her section looks like this (bold is highlighted in the similarity report)

(Author, 2018) says this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. his is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. However, (NO CITATION) this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. Also, (Author et al, 2017) says this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph.this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph,

(Author et al, 2016) this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. Which means that that this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. this is text. This is text and it means that there are words. (NO CITATION) this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph.this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph. this is a paragraph.

I think you get my drift :rofl3:

But that is literally how 2 full pages of her section looks like. What's the worse case scenario with this? It's not plagiarism but it's just copied and pasted bits with the odd connectives here and there.

I checked her work before handing it in and thought wow why this is pretty good but it turns out it's just other people's work. I shouldn't have to think about 2nd year students doing fcukery like this. Myself and the 3rd member applied critical thinking except for her.

I even told her the similarity report on her section was very noticeable and she said "oh don't worry, i did that in my last assignment and got a good grade" lmao. I ignored the message as I was completely annoyed and the deadline had already passed. This is exactly why I can't stand group work

It probably will get picked up for plagiarism and you can explain that it wasn't your work but if it is group work the group may get marked down for it.
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, luckily Turnitin allowed multiple resubmissions so I just redid everything. Is there proof of who contributed what? I would be tempted to go straight to the lecturer with a copy of what everyone contributed, it's not fair if you get penalised for a group member's mistake.
Reply 3
Original post by LeaX
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago, luckily Turnitin allowed multiple resubmissions so I just redid everything. Is there proof of who contributed what? I would be tempted to go straight to the lecturer with a copy of what everyone contributed, it's not fair if you get penalised for a group member's mistake.

I've contacted student support, so I'm waiting on their reply. The lecturer doesn't know how to reply to student enquiries lol what's new?

There is proof, I put together the report and each student sent me their section. Hopefully I can use this if it comes down to it

I can't believe on top of completing your own work, you have to think about another students incompetence. Not fair at all
Reply 4
i agree. sucks the similarity report took 24hrs to come through.

i've contacted student support to see what can be done here. Lecturer has been ignoring for some time now. £9250 well spent

Quick Reply

Latest