Sticky situation applying for accommodation...?

Watch
gussssss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I start on the 24th of Sept so I won't get paid up to 5 days after that date. The accom on Student.com says move in date 09/08/18. What happens about this? I'm gonna phone today, but I'd rather be clued up first haha.

Also can't see anything about upfront costs and it says no booking fees. I'm real confused overall, help lol.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by gussssss)
I start on the 24th of Sept so I won't get paid up to 5 days after that date. The accom on Student.com says move in date 09/08/18. What happens about this? I'm gonna phone today, but I'd rather be clued up first haha.

Also can't see anything about upfront costs and it says no booking fees. I'm real confused overall, help lol.
You may have to pay in installments and generally the first is either before or soon after move in.
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
You may have to pay in installments and generally the first is either before or soon after move in.
So I can move in whenever I want and not by their date and not have to pay for their period? This is the only thing that worries me. If so that's good. I'm not really worried about when I pay aslong as it's after I move in, have my finance by then.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So I can move in whenever I want and not by their date and not have to pay for their period? This is the only thing that worries me. If so that's good. I'm not really worried about when I pay aslong as it's after I move in, have my finance by then.
You can move in whenever you want after their date though your contract will set out when you need to pay.
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
though your contract will set out when you need to pay.
And this is personal to me yes? The 09/08/18 is not when my contract starts and it starts on my move in date? If so no further questions lmao

Sorry for the dumb questions I just need to know every detail generally haha
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And this is personal to me yes? The 09/08/18 is not when my contract starts and it starts on my move in date? If so no further questions lmao

Sorry for the dumb questions I just need to know every detail generally haha
Sorry not really sure what your questions are. Clarify please?
hxyleigh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So, you don't get your maintenance loan until after you move in?

If I've read this properly and that's the case, I wouldn't worry. Everyone else will also be getting theirs at that time, so the university should understand.

Contact accommodation and explain your situation to them, they'll probably be really accepting and just grateful that you notified them in advance.
hxyleigh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, you will need to pay the dates set out in your contract. The university doesn't care when you personally move in.
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxyleigh)
So, you don't get your maintenance loan until after you move in?

If I've read this properly and that's the case, I wouldn't worry. Everyone else will also be getting theirs at that time, so the university should understand.

Contact accommodation and explain your situation to them, they'll probably be really accepting and just grateful that you notified them in advance.
Nooo it's not the Uni that's why I'm kinda worried/confused. It's on Student.com that I'm looking because the upfront cost for UEL is RIDIC (750 plus 200 deposit)

So they claim move in date is 09/08/18 but I've concluded this is just a guideline and just when they start letting people live there. Cause I did tell her on the phone I move in on the 24th (when I start) and she said it's fine most of them start in sept...

Thanks guys
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxyleigh)
Also, you will need to pay the dates set out in your contract. The university doesn't care when you personally move in.
I don't know this contract though. I haven't started anything with accomm yet due to waiting for deposit money. Maybe because this is separate from the uni, or I'm being dumb lol.
Desideri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nooo it's not the Uni that's why I'm kinda worried/confused. It's on Student.com that I'm looking because the upfront cost for UEL is RIDIC (750 plus 200 deposit)

So they claim move in date is 09/08/18 but I've concluded this is just a guideline and just when they start letting people live there. Cause I did tell her on the phone I move in on the 24th (when I start) and she said it's fine most of them start in sept...

Thanks guys
You'll most likely be able to move in any time from 09/08.

However, even if you don't move in until September, you'll have to pay when the contract says (so you might need to pay your first installment on or around 09/08).
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyN)

However, even if you don't move in until September, you'll have to pay when the contract says (so you might need to pay your first installment on or around 09/08).
If that is the case I'm doomed here, there is no way I'm affording that, I don't get my first instalment til after the 24th.

Private renting it is
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by KittyN)

Okay I think we're all wrong cause this other place states move in any time. I'll go for those ones or ones around Sept, as ugly as they are lol :/ Cheers
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago

Can you provide more detail to your query and tell us what uni the accommodation is at, then people can work it out for you?
Its also not likely to be any easier and it could be worse doing it privately.
gussssss
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Can you provide more detail to your query and tell us what uni the accommodation is at, then people can work it out for you?
Its also not likely to be any easier and it could be worse doing it privately.
It will be easier in respect of payment I'd assume, cause I think with student accommodation you pay in large instalments? It's less flexible, I could just get in a shared house somewhere. I really want to work out student accommodation though.

I'm going to UEL, but it's not there I'm going to accommodation. They want too much money upfront so I'm using Student.com right now and that's what I'm referring to
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
It will be easier in respect of payment I'd assume, cause I think with student accommodation you pay in large instalments? It's less flexible, I could just get in a shared house somewhere. I really want to work out student accommodation though.

I'm going to UEL, but it's not there I'm going to accommodation. They want too much money upfront so I'm using Student.com right now and that's what I'm referring to
From what I can see is student.com is more like a middle person agent for a number of other student residence providers.
There are no terms and conditions I can see. Until you see that contract, then you will not know when your contract runs from or anything you have to pay in advance or as a deposit.

I would be wary of expecting significantly more favourable terms in the private sector. You should also compare like with like. Student accommodation is often for c 40/42 weeks to cover term times. Private is more likely to be 52 weeks. private may also require a full terms payment in advance or by a certain date i.e not weekly, but you wont know till you see the contract.
gussssss
Rep:
?
From what I can see is student.com is more like a middle person agent for a number of other student residence providers.
There are no terms and conditions I can see. Until you see that contract, then you will not know when your contract runs from or anything you have to pay in advance or as a deposit.

I would be wary of expecting significantly more favourable terms in the private sector. You should also compare like with like. Student accommodation is often for c 40/42 weeks to cover term times. Private is more likely to be 52 weeks. private may also require a full terms payment in advance or by a certain date i.e not weekly, but you wont know till you see the contract.
Oh that's okay I get the full amount of SF so some weeks more idm paying. And I plan on paying all in big instalments anyway if I go student accomm, rather have it out of the way. I didn't mean private student accomm was more favourable, I meant the shared houses (like not student accomm ie student.com) are more flexible.

Thanks for your insight
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Oh that's okay I get the full amount of SF so some weeks more idm paying. And I plan on paying all in big instalments anyway if I go student accomm, rather have it out of the way. I didn't mean private student accomm was more favourable, I meant the shared houses (like not student accomm ie student.com) are more flexible.

Thanks for your insight
Possibly. Normally contracts are 52 weeks, but if you arent planning on showing up till then end of September, then they can amend it to run from then till the end of August. You will also need a deposit of 4-6 weeks rent.
gussssss
Rep:
?
You will also need a deposit of 4-6 weeks rent.
How'd you know that? All the lady mentioned on the phone was a deposit of 250 and she said I could align the deposits when my SFE comes in. I hate being confused lol. I have emailed but no response
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
How'd you know that? All the lady mentioned on the phone was a deposit of 250 and she said I could align the deposits when my SFE comes in. I hate being confused lol. I have emailed but no response
I was talking about private rented not student.com.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.82%
Uncertainty around my education (80)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (75)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (91)
12.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.4%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (40)
5.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (76)
10.8%
Financial worries (44)
6.25%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
5.97%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (23)
3.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (68)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (55)
7.81%

Watched Threads