The Student Room Group

Asking someone out - need input!

So I’ve written in my notes app, this draft of a short message asking someone I like out. I was wondering if anyone could provide advice on how to write it better or add to it, subtract, whatever. I just need some help as I’m not the best with this!

The message:

Hey, I’ve sent some embarrassing messages in the last couple weeks. I’ve been trying to get the courage to ask you out but I’ve ended up sending bs instead. You might have guessed what I was doing, but just in case... can I ask you out on a date?

For background, I kept talking to him like a friend and asking to hang out. Most awkward thing for me, but he didn’t seem to mind. He’s very very sweet to me these days, I think he’d say yes but I still need to get this perfect!

Thank you in advance!!
Reply 1
And no he’s not on TSR, in case anyone thinks of that!
Tbh I like things like that: it's to the point, awkwardly shy and charming etc. Besides, it doesn't have to be perfect, does it? The way you phrase it most likely won't change the outcome, however, I'm pretty shy so if I've ever asked anyone out I always make a point of saying it's chill if they don't feel the same and we could still be friends (I'm just awkward though...). Good luck man! :smile:

Last time I asked someone out they annoyed me so I just blurted 'will you be my ****ing boyfriend' but I like to think I was charming :h:
Reply 3
I just... I did it. Holy f***. Last time I felt this exhilarated was when I found out that I’m going to see my cousins (who I never get to see because they live in San Francisco) in August. We’re not great for money so the fact it’s happening is surreal. And the fact I actually got the courage to ask him out is also surreal. Now to wait 😬
So you waited 30 mins for input then sent it anyway. That's cute. Update when you can lol.
Reply 5
I will, I promise haha. Well, yeah I made this thread and then spent that time thinking and realised that he’s likely to say yes so why not just go for it. I got my feedback here and just went “f*** it” and did it. Proud of myself but nervous af.

Stay tuned!

Quick Reply