The Student Room Group

In a bit of a pickle

I'm going to try and make this as brief as possible.
I want to do Japanese at uni. There are no subject-specific entry requirements, although a language (any language) at A Level is preferable. I tried A Levels but found them too hard so I switched to a BTEC, since BTECs were an acceptable alternative in many unis' entry requirements. However, after looking into it more, they list 'Pearson extended diploma' as the BTEC option, while I'm doing a CACHE technical diploma. My course is still worth 3 A Levels in UCAS points, but I'm not 100% sure it'll be sufficient. I am expected an A* in my BTEC course, and I am also able to do A Level Russian in my gap year, since I am lucky enough to be bilingual. I think these two factors will help my application, but I am not 100% sure because of the type of BTEC I'm doing. The worst part is, when I contacted several unis about whether my CACHE Technical Diploma would be suitable, they all said 'you won't know until you apply'. This makes me feel as though I am wasting my time, because I have no interest in doing this subject as a job- I only did this course because I thought I was being smart and giving myself an easier route to uni.
Any advice would be a real life saver, thank you.
(edited 6 years ago)
have you tried university of Leeds? theyre known to accept most level 3 btecs, particularly if an a level is taken as well, and Leeds has a Japanese course that looks good
Reply 2
Original post by aesthete1
have you tried university of Leeds? theyre known to accept most level 3 btecs, particularly if an a level is taken as well, and Leeds has a Japanese course that looks good

Leeds is actually one of the unis I was looking at, and they're one of the unis that basically said I won't know if I'm ****ed or not until I apply. They're a Russel Group uni as well, so that's scary too.
Guess I won't be able to have a peace of mind until the time actually comes.. Thanks for the reply though
Original post by YasudaSayo
Leeds is actually one of the unis I was looking at, and they're one of the unis that basically said I won't know if I'm ****ed or not until I apply. They're a Russel Group uni as well, so that's scary too.
Guess I won't be able to have a peace of mind until the time actually comes.. Thanks for the reply though

I'd definitely recommend applying to give unis anyway, with the a level russian as well, worst they can do is all reject you and then it's possible to go through ucas extra and clearing and you'd be likely to find a place somewhere, even if they do all reject you you'll have that knowledge that your may need to take another qualification before reapplying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending