Angels1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
https://postimg.cc/image/6i59tgmf1/

Hiya , I’m quite stuck on part C of question three and maybe it’s because I don’t really understand the assumptions but one of the answers was for C is about how the sample size has to be large enough to use the central limit theorem but I am confused because I thought the sample size is 10 and that’s not really large so why would we have to involve the central limit theorem?

Thank you
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Angels1234)
https://postimg.cc/image/6i59tgmf1/

Hiya , I’m quite stuck on part C of question three and maybe it’s because I don’t really understand the assumptions but one of the answers was for C is about how the sample size has to be large enough to use the central limit theorem but I am confused because I thought the sample size is 10 and that’s not really large so why would we have to involve the central limit theorem?

Thank you
Did you use the sample size of 10 for part b then?
Bealzibub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In part (b), when you worked out the 95% confidence interval you used the central limit theorem which let you assume that the sample mean follows a normal distribution. You need a sufficiently large sample size for the central limit theorem
Angels1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Did you use the sample size of 10 for part b then?
Omg !! Silly me , thanks so much 😂 100 not 10
Angels1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bealzibub)
In part (b), when you worked out the 95% confidence interval you used the central limit theorem which let you assume that the sample mean follows a normal distribution. You need a sufficiently large sample size for the central limit theorem
Why do the confidence interval formulas involve the central limit theorem ? ghostwalker Bealzibub ??For example if we are told n is 20 and we used that to find the confidence interval for example in 95 % ci that n value is small so why does that involve clt ?
Bealzibub
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Angels1234)
Why do the confidence interval formulas involve the central limit theorem ? ghostwalker Bealzibub ??For example if we are told n is 20 and we used that to find the confidence interval for example in 95 % ci that n value is small so why does that involve clt ?
The confidence interval formula is for a normal distribution. When you take a sample and calculate its mean, how do you know what distribution the sample mean is, how can you calculate a confidence interval if you don't know the distribution? This is where the central limit theorem comes in, the theorem says that regardless of the distribution from which you sample, the sample mean will be approximately normally distributed as long as the sample size is sufficiently large. You can then calculate the confidence interval, so when you use the confidence interval formula you are actually using the central limit theorem!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads