The Student Room Group

Bristol First Year or Manchester Year Zero

As the thread title suggests, I have received offers from both these two universities, however, Bristol has offered me a place for their first-year course in Maths&Physics whereas Manchester's offer is for year zero (foundation year).

Which one should I choose?

I know that Manchester is surely better for Physics and I find the modules on their course to be slightly better (more choices, more interesting topics) but I do not know if I should consider their offer because of the additional year.

On the other hand, as an international student, I think that a foundation year can help me to get used to the UK academic system and teaching delivered in English (I have never had a single class in English until now!) and therefore help me doing better later during my degree years.
Which course do you prefer?

There's your answer.
Reply 2
Original post by Bill Nye
Which course do you prefer?

There's your answer.

I prefer the BSc course at Manchester but I would prefer to start it as soon as I can and this is the reason why I am unsure about the additional year there.
Original post by 534443
I prefer the BSc course at Manchester but I would prefer to start it as soon as I can and this is the reason why I am unsure about the additional year there.

Well they offered you the foundation year as they think that you will do better with an extra year.

If you think the extra year will help, then I would go for it. A year out of your life isn't that much, and you will have time to get used to classes in english, living independently in the UK etc etc
Original post by 534443
As the thread title suggests, I have received offers from both these two universities, however, Bristol has offered me a place for their first-year course in Maths&Physics whereas Manchester's offer is for year zero (foundation year).

I know that Manchester is surely better for Physics and I find the modules on their course to be slightly better (more choices, more interesting topics) but I do not know if I should consider their offer because of the additional year.

On the other hand, as an international student, I think that a foundation year can help me to get used to the UK academic system and teaching delivered in English (I have never had a single class in English until now!) and therefore help me doing better later during my degree years.

Is it possible to ask Manchester to reconsider their decision and consider you for First Year. If possible, tell them you have an offer from Bristol for First Year, but you are keen on Manchester.

If it does not work, I strongly suggest that you go to Bristol. This is due to the following reasons:

1. You are not sure whether you will progress to the first year after your foundation programme. So this is not guaranteed.

2. It will be more expensive to do a 4 year programme at Manchester than 3 year at Bristol.

I suggest you approach them again and then make a decision. I would go to bristol and finish in 3 years imo.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Is it possible to ask Manchester to reconsider their decision and consider you for First Year. If possible, tell them you have an offer from Bristol for First Year, but you are keen on Manchester.

If it does not work, I strongly suggest that you go to Bristol. This is due to the following reasons:

1. You are not sure whether you will progress to the first year after your foundation programme. So this is not guaranteed.

2. It will be more expensive to do a 4 year programme at Manchester than 3 year at Bristol.

I suggest you approach them again and then make a decision. I would go to bristol and finish in 3 years imo.

Thank you for your contribution.

In regard to 1. I can say that it is really unlikely that they won't give me an offer for a BSc after the foundation year since they guarantee admission for people that do well enough and I am pretty sure that I can manage it.

Since I am not too much convinced by the course at Bristol I might even change it and do theoretical physics from year two, however, as they do not have a BSc option at Bristol for TP (MSci only) it is possible that I will end up doing four years at Bristol too. Plus, I do not like the idea of being awarded an MSci as I may be interested in doing a master at another university.

I do not think that I can ask to be reconsidered and be successful since Manchester is really competitive for Physics.
Original post by 534443
Thank you for your contribution.

In regard to 1. I can say that it is really unlikely that they won't give me an offer for a BSc after the foundation year since they guarantee admission for people that do well enough and I am pretty sure that I can manage it.

Since I am not too much convinced by the course at Bristol I might even change it and do theoretical physics from year two, however, as they do not have a BSc option at Bristol for TP (MSci only) it is possible that I will end up doing four years at Bristol too. Plus, I do not like the idea of being awarded an MSci as I may be interested in doing a master at another university.

I do not think that I can ask to be reconsidered and be successful since Manchester is really competitive for Physics.

That is fair, then you have to make a decision. You seem to be more interested in the Manchester programme. Think about it and make a decision.
Reply 7
Okay so, I am actually going to answer my own question with the following lines.
I have just been at Bristol for an Offer Holder Day and I can say that it is really not at Manchester's level (for physics at least). Though it did not seem that bad and people there appear to be very nice... I am quite sure that if I were British and extrovert I would probably firm Bristol indeed. However, from an academic standpoint there is no argument here.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 534443
Okay so, I am actually going to answer my own question with the following lines.
I have just been at Bristol for an Offer Holder Day and I can say that it is really not at Manchester's level (for physics at least). Though it did not seem that bad and people there appear to be very nice... I am quite sure that if I were British and extrovert I would probably firm Bristol indeed. However, from an academic standpoint there is no argument here.

Ok, then firm Manchester.
Hi I’m in a similar predicament and was wondering what ur decision was and how it went for you :smile:
Original post by 534443

I would do the foundation year it gives you a year to find your feet and settle in to the academic system. Meaning when you enter year 1 you will be settled in your learning and less stress. Good luck
Original post by 534443

Bristol has a stronger brand reputation than Manchester. Plus there is the additional cost of an extra year at Manchester. I am sure you passed the IELTS to a satisfactory level (6 or 7) so don't worry about your English and go to Bristol. Its a lovely city and a great uni. If you arrive by train or plane during week 0 (14th Sept) there will be a uni rep there to meet you and orientate you.

Quick Reply

Latest