Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had my braces for 2 years and I was just told they'll be on for another 6 months, after originally being told it'd be 18 months- 2years. Seems like my orthodontist keeps moving the goal post and they're never coming off!! Fuming that they'll be on for prom and my first couple of months in college, sounds petty but they make me look younger than I already look (I'm 16 but I look way younger) and I'm just generally sick of them now. So reassure me- how long did you have braces for?? And how can I look more mature even with having braces on??
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Cannot remember, however, my orthodontist took mine off too early, not 100% straight still. What a prick.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't.

A) I am not American.

B) My teeth are not pointing all over the shop.

ReputationRep:
    I have braces now but have no idea when I am getting them off lmao.

It's obviously a while away though as I have only had them adjusted once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    I didn't.

A) I am not American.

B) My teeth are not pointing all over the shop.
    A) I'm also not American
    B) my teeth look fine now and they're just having final adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    people at all ages get brace, you are deinitely not too old.
    It varies from person to person, depending on how out of place your teeth are.
    But just make sure you are doing everything your orthodontist tells you, bc if you dont it will definitely slow down the process (eg. wearing bands or retainers everyday etc...)

ReputationRep:
    I had mine for about 2 years. It took a while to get things in order. I always hated the next few days after getting everything tightened. Hurt so much to chew anything. It was worth it now though I am glad I did it.

I've had a retainer since year 8, bottom braces since year 10 and top braces 16 months. Bottom should be coming off soon but there's now a 7mm overbite ( that they created) that moves about 0.5mm in every 4-6 weeks. May have to have them taken off more teeth out then back on life sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yipyipee)
    people at all ages get brace, you are deinitely not too old.
    It varies from person to person, depending on how out of place your teeth are.
    But just make sure you are doing everything your orthodontist tells you, bc if you dont it will definitely slow down the process (eg. wearing bands or retainers everyday etc...)
    Yeah it just feels like everyone's braces are coming off and mine don't want to leave me😂 thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendarob)
    Yeah it just feels like everyone's braces are coming off and mine don't want to leave me😂 thanks
    dw they will come off when they are ready, and you will be so happy with the results that eventually you wont care if you had do spend an extra few months with them

ReputationRep:
    Each persons teeth are different.
    My whole entire process took 5 years, however that includes time wearing retainers before the train tracks.
    Having straight teeth are worth it though

ReputationRep:
    2 and a bit years. Still wear retainers at night now. Totally worth it taking so long! When you look back, yes they may make you look young, but you'll be glad when they are done properly and just how you want them to look!

3 years and I had the same thing happening with my ortho, I think keeping it on longer is better ngl and honestly you could try get a colour that isnt noticeable and no one really notices if you have them on or off? And maybe keep your lippy colour a nude so attention isn't grabbed to see your braces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AydenFoster34)
    I had mine for about 2 years. It took a while to get things in order. I always hated the next few days after getting everything tightened. Hurt so much to chew anything. It was worth it now though I am glad I did it.
    I'm going through that right now. I needed to get a coil spring on my bottom teeth and it kills😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A) I am not American.
    Do you have to be American to have braces?

To the OP - I had mine about 18 months. I remember I cried a bit because I thought I was getting mine off a week before Christmas, but they had to stay on another month. I really wanted to eat a toffee penny from the Quality Street box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)

To the OP - I had mine about 18 months. I remember I cried a bit because I thought I was getting mine off a week before Christmas, but they had to stay on another month. I really wanted to eat a toffee penny from the Quality Street box.
    Ahaha, I'm in a similar situation because I thought I was getting mine off before prom, but that's not happening. Gutted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)

No, I was saying you get braces where your teeth are all over the shop or you get them because there's a slight imperfection, in which case you're an American.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, I was saying you get braces where your teeth are all over the shop or you get them because there's a slight imperfection, in which case you're an American.
    Amazing how straightening your slightly out of line teeth can change your whole nationality.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on the state of your teeth before braces aka how bad they looked.
    My teeth were almost perfect but the only flaw were my canines looked a bit crooked so my smile looked too Vampire-ish
    So i got braces for only 10 months and then got retainer-wire things permanently adjusted to my teeth, but they don't show.:cool:
    IDK what they're called but they're basically wires that are fixed behind the teeth ??? idk lol :rolleyes:

Spoiler:
    Show

On the other hand my (really unlucky) brother had really bad teeth so hes been wearing them for 4 years now and will be taking them off next august

ReputationRep:
    I had braces for 4 years as I had twin blocks first, honestly it's definitely worth the wait even though it will affect prom. You will be very relieved to get them off and a few months extra will be worth it in the end I promise.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.