The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Ask me anything about foundation year in Loughborough university

Just about to finish my Foundation year here in Loughborough, if you have any questions you can ask here and i will try to answer : ) might not be able to answer straight away but will try to answer whenever i sign in, btw i am doing Aeronautical engineering with foundation year.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Going in for a foundation year for Mech Eng in September. Did you find you had more time to actually enjoy your first year? Also how did it feel with all your mates living together in second year while you’re in halls again for your first year
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by StandUpCactus
Going in for a foundation year for Mech Eng in September. Did you find you had more time to actually enjoy your first year? Also how did it feel with all your mates living together in second year while you’re in halls again for your first year

I am not done with my foundation year yet, but what I can tell you is first year you will be able to enjoy more as its kind of like revising some modules, depending on while course you move on to, as engineering courses has highest requirements to move in from foundation , it prepares you well for the first year, i have to say the maths module lecturer Stephanie thomas is really good, dont worry about maths at all as long as you just attend the lectures.
(edited 6 years ago)
and also not all of my mates are staying in uni after foundation year, some of them are moving out with the students they lived with in halls while in foundation year ,renting a house in town centre, some of them are staying in halls tho.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StandUpCactus

And congratulations securing a place in Lboro.
Original post by tango-inidigo
Just about to finish my Foundation year here in Loughborough, if you have any questions you can ask here and i will try to answer : ) might not be able to answer straight away but will try to answer whenever i sign in, btw i am doing Aeronautical engineering with foundation year.

Hi tango-inidigo
Thanks for offering info - it's always great when current students give their opinions and help :smile:
Vicky
Hey I’m going in for a foundation year for business in September and I’d like to know if I’d meet anyone my age. I’m 16
Reply 7
why did you decide on doing foundation year? Have you completed your a levels?
I’m an international student and at my high school there’s 12th grade and I decided to do foundation because 12th grade and foundation is like alevels
Original post by Khloejane
Hey I’m going in for a foundation year for business in September and I’d like to know if I’d meet anyone my age. I’m 16

we had two 16 year old this year as far as i know of, info from our social sec.
Original post by sy212
why did you decide on doing foundation year? Have you completed your a levels?

very interesting question, i have actually come to loughborough as a mature student, i had a six year study gap, so decided to do foundation year and honestly it is one of the best decision of my life before going into doing aeronautical eng. i am way more confident in maths now which i am sure will help me in engineering, i know more about materials ,now bare in mind i am talking from foundation year engineering side of modules, we had a module on mechanical engineering (basic stuff), basic programming in python an electronics and circuits module or a product design module ( you will be offered any one of this module, if you are going to study engineering), i did not do A levels, but studied maths and physics before.
for those of you planning to study Aero in 2018 please join this facebook group : (Loughborough aeronautical engineering 2018-22)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/357747584734471/
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi tango-inidigo
Thanks for offering info - it's always great when current students give their opinions and help :smile:
Vicky

My pleasure Vicky.
My pleasure Vicky.

:thumbsup:
Reply 14
Did you find many other mature students on the foundation course and in halls?
There were 2/3 other mature students and I lived off campus so no clue on that, although I knew a mature student who lived in halls but left halls mid year and moved to town as it was way too noisy for him.
Reply 16

My son has firmed an offer for Electrical Engineering in September. Do you know if they offer foundation years to those who don't make the grades in August or is the foundation year just for those with non maths / science A levels. Thanks
Original post by Sarah70
My son has firmed an offer for Electrical Engineering in September. Do you know if they offer foundation years to those who don't make the grades in August or is the foundation year just for those with non maths / science A levels. Thanks

Hi Sarah70
Great to hear that your son has firmed Loughborough :smile:
No foundation isn't for people who don't make the grades, it's for people who have changed their minds on the subjects they have taken.
So if your son doesn't make the grades, he won't be offered foundation.
Other unis do work this way though.
Hope that helps
Vicky
Reply 18
Thanks Vicky. I thought that was the case at Loughborough. Fingers crossed he gets the grades!
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Sarah70
Great to hear that your son has firmed Loughborough :smile:
No foundation isn't for people who don't make the grades, it's for people who have changed their minds on the subjects they have taken.
So if your son doesn't make the grades, he won't be offered foundation.
Other unis do work this way though.
Hope that helps
Vicky
Original post by Sarah70
Thanks Vicky. I thought that was the case at Loughborough. Fingers crossed he gets the grades!

No problem - I'm sure he'll be fine :smile:
Just on another note, if he's applied for the MEng version of the course and doesn't make the grades, but meets BEng grade expectations, he would be offered the BEng version. They if he did well enough in the first year would have the option to move back to the MEng.

Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending