Blessing Osaah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Please I am stack with my assignment for days and it’s getting me worried. Can anyone help me. The question is seen below;

From birth, David was subjected to watching abusive relationship between his mother and father. His parents fought over everything and the shouting matches often degenerated into physical violence. His mother often suffered from bruising and on a number of occasions broken bones. Although he was not abused himself, he grew up in this environment until he was 11years old.

At 11 the relationship completely broke down with his parents and his mother left the family home. Davis was taken into care as his father reported that he could no longer look after him. David now aged 12 displays extreme aggression to everyone in the care home but had been seen to display some kindness to som of the younger children who were being bullied by those older than themselves.
Evaluate the contribution of genetic predisposition and one other theory to explain David’s agression. But do not describe the theories, just relate them to David’s case study and evaluate them

Can anyone kindly help me?!!!!!
hxyleigh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm a little stuck for time so won't be able to go into as much detail as I'd like, but I could throw a few pointers your way to see if they help.

In terms of the increased aqgression, there are plenty of studies out there to support the idea that more frequent exposure to aggression leads to an increase in aggressive behaviour. A really popular one is Bandura's (1961) Bobo Doll study, wherein children who were shown an adult acting violently towards a doll, were more likely to follow suit, kicking and hitting the doll. This could be used to explain David's aggression, having observed his parent's abusive relationship, making him more susceptible to displaying similar behaviours.

Bowlby's (1969) ideas on an 'internal working model' could also be quite relevant here. In short, a child's attachment with their primary caregiver is likely to form the basis of all future attachments, how they work, and what to expect from them. Therefore, you could apply this to David's difficult and unstable upbringing, as well as his exposure to physical violence, to explain his behaviour with others. Aggression has almost come to be what he expects of a relationship.

I've unfortunately not done any work on genetic predispositions in terms of aggression specifically, but it's widely accepted that temperament is biologically inherited, and so you could possibly look into studies to find some more information on that.

Hopefully this helped at least a little!

Good luck on your assignment.
Blessing Osaah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks so much hxyleigh. This has given me so much idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads