The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews vs Trinity College Dublin

Hi all,I currently have an unconditional to study English at St Andrews and am hoping to receive an offer to study law at Trinity College Dublin in August. I am aware that one is a big city and the other a small town and Dublin is expensive. However, what I really want to get down to is, irrespective of all other factors, which is the better university academically because it can be hard to know when Trinity isn't on the UK league tables. Therefore I have two questions:What university would you compare TCD to in the UK?Which is the more prestigious university TCD or St Andrews?Thanks :smile:
Original post by standrewsvstcd
Hi all,I currently have an unconditional to study English at St Andrews and am hoping to receive an offer to study law at Trinity College Dublin in August. I am aware that one is a big city and the other a small town and Dublin is expensive. However, what I really want to get down to is, irrespective of all other factors, which is the better university academically because it can be hard to know when Trinity isn't on the UK league tables. Therefore I have two questions:What university would you compare TCD to in the UK?Which is the more prestigious university TCD or St Andrews?Thanks :smile:

I would think... which course is more important than reputation. I would say they are equal level in terms of prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by wolfmoon88
I would think... which course is more important than reputation. I would say they are equal level in terms of prestige.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, I went to Trinity, and any friends I have who went to St Andrews (one of which did English) and came to Trinity have loved it way more here than St Andrews, a number of them even tried to transfer to Trinity after their Erasmus year here! I think thats a good demarker
As well as English and Law being totally different courses, Dublin and St Andrews are totally different places to live. Dublin is a city with 30 to 100 times as many people as St Andrews (depending on how you want to define it). If you want city life, definitely pick TCD. If you'd prefer a small seaside town with <20,000 people but >20 pubs, pick St Andrews!

St Andrews is much more of a "make your own fun" place (but we do make our own fun!). I would also say it's probably a closer knit community than TCD (you can't walk down the street without bumping into someone you know).

You might also want to consider expenses - you don't say where you're from, but you might end up being beholden to exchange rates depending on what you pick. I was in Dublin when the exchange rate was really crap for the £, and pints ended up costing like £6. I would definitely expect some turbulence in the GBP: EUR exchange rate in the coming years! I don't know about Dublin, but St Andrews is considered really expensive in terms of rent (generally £450/month is a good deal on rent at the moment). Living expenses are tolerable but not particularly low.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of league tables, but you might want to check out QS and THE for global league tables which will have both TCD and St Andrews in.
Reply 5
Original post by standrewsvstcd

Hi, I live in Dublin and I have alot of friends from TCD so I can only inform u about them.
Trinity College in Dublin is the top university in the Republic of Ireland and considered to be kind of ''posh'' and a university that's hard to get into unless you're very smart, it's probably similar to how British students would look up to getting into Oxford or Cambridge.

But if we're talking about the tables and leagues and all that, St. Andrews has a higher rank globally than Trinity College by let's say approximately 25 places (20-30)

I live in Dublin and I can say that TCD is a Uni that is legit in the centre of city. I have alot of friends who study in TCD and so far they said they love it except for one friend, she said that the people in her class are either super geeky nerdy or super arrogant (arrogantly smart?).

City wise, Dublin is quite an expensive place. I do think that sometimes things here are a bit overpriced compared to other cities here in Ireland, probably because it is the capital city. There's alot of things to do in the city however. Pubs and clubs and all that, if you are into partying and drinking, all these are a few minutes walk away from TCD. It's very accessible as well, transport wise, you have the dart (train along the coast), luas (tramline in the middle of city) and the Dublin bus and you can get a student leap card! It gives you a reduced price every time you use these public transports so instead of normally paying 2.85 euros for a single ride, if I remember correctly, you only pay 2.15 euros PLUS if you have spent over 5 euros in your leap card for the day, the rest of your journey will be free until 12 midnight! So if you like travelling alot, then this one can save you lots!

Well that's all! I hope these help! Feel free to ask me about Dublin as a city or TCD in general and I can ask my friends for you :wink: goodluck on picking your uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending