The Student Room Group

Muslim woman denied French Citizenship for refusing to shake hands with Official...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43839655

"A French appeals court has upheld a ruling denying an Algerian woman citizenship after she refused to shake the hand of a senior official.
The woman, who has not been named, said her "religious beliefs" prevented her from shaking the hand of the male official in the citizenship ceremony.

A government ruling said it showed she was "not assimilated into the French community" and denied her citizenship.

She appealed, but France's highest administrative court upheld the ruling."

was it the right decision to deny her entry?
or should people just respect her religion and not make a big deal out of her not shaking his hand?

Scroll to see replies

it's not like he asked her to eat a ham sandwich is it ?

smh
Yes. They were right. Sorry but if you already show signs that you won't integrate into a society, then you're not fit for the society.
It seems a bit odd to ask to become a citizen of a society you do not wish to integrate into. It does not seem odd to turn down the application of such a person.
Original post by ANM775
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43839655

"A French appeals court has upheld a ruling denying an Algerian woman citizenship after she refused to shake the hand of a senior official.
The woman, who has not been named, said her "religious beliefs" prevented her from shaking the hand of the male official in the citizenship ceremony.

A government ruling said it showed she was "not assimilated into the French community" and denied her citizenship.

She appealed, but France's highest administrative court upheld the ruling."

was it the right decision to deny her entry?
or should people just respect her religion and not make a big deal out of her not shaking his hand?

Isnt this almost a repeat of the Swiss schoolchildren case?
They havent denied her entry.
Refusal on the ground of not being assimilated is up to the French, but it would be in line with the secular views of the government.
Original post by 999tigger

That isn't relevant but she is likely not to be allowed to stay much longer.
There are some elderly Muslim women who do disagree shaking other people's hands, but it is most definitely not a normal thing.
I have only bad words to say about those institutions making a big deal about handshaking and saying it is not "integrating" and causing massive life-changing problems based on it. I do not want get warned for swearing at these vermin but just think of the most colourful thing you can and apply it to them.
Why does she want to become a French citizen if she has no interest of integrating into French society?
Reply 9
Isnt this almost a repeat of the Swiss schoolchildren case?
Refusal on the ground of not being assimilated is up to the French, but it would be in line with the secular views of the government.

Sorry i'm not familiar with the swiss school children case

tbh I do think they were justified in refusing her entry, she should try and integrate and tbh shaking hands doesn't seem like a big deal to me ...but I say that as a male non muslim

would be interested to hear any muslim people's opinion on this?

edit: I think we just had one
(edited 5 years ago)
You need to be able to adapt to the ways of the country you're moving to if you want to have a happy and successful life there. If any male contact is totally out of the question, even just a formal handshake with a man, then she really won't have much success at all.
I don't think refusing to shake someone's hand suggests that the individual won't integrate into society. There are many aspects to integration: if the woman is fine with learning the language, getting a job and just generally living normally (I.e. Respecting others and engaging in friendly conversation in the appropriate situations), I don't think a hand shake is a good enough reason to refuse citizenship.
good job.
Original post by Good bloke
That isn't relevant but she is likely not to be allowed to stay much longer.

He write denied entry, when it appears she was already living there. Dont know enough about whether they will be deporting her as I don't know her immigration status. The emphasis on the article was about gaining citizenship.
Original post by Zamestaneh
causing massive life-changing problems

If you want the benefits of a rich, secular, egalitarian, democratic state then you should expect to live as the normal citizens of that state do and not hold yourself aloof.
what’s wrong with shaking someone’s hand?
the world is full of people indoctrinated with crazy beliefs, such as this.
10 years ago I'd have said overkill.

Not any more. We don't need more people who stubbornly refuse to integrate, and refuse a handshake from a public figure just to make headlines for themselves (let's be real here, that's what it is most likely about).

If you want to find out someone's motives... follow the consequences of their actions. She'll probably have a fking charity set up in her name now. I can't fault her for that. Good business acumen.
The emphasis on the article was about gaining citizenship.

Well, non-citizens are normally not given any guarantees about staying for more than a short period.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I have only bad words to say about those institutions making a big deal about handshaking and saying it is not "integrating" and causing massive life-changing problems based on it. I do not want get warned for swearing at these vermin but just think of the most colourful thing you can and apply it to them.

Why would you wish to join a country if you have no respect for its history laws and traditions? Why try to become French if you cant respect their laws?
Yeh, to collapse her whole citizenship claim at the absolute last moment based on her refusal to shake someones hand is ****ing stupid.