Art programmes for students who have unrelated undegraduate degree

Watch
chocolat321
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Are there any postgrad programmes in art and design/fine art for students who want to study art after they have already completed a degree but in an unrelated subject?
Most postgrad diplomas seem to be for those who studied something related at undergrad.
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there,

A lot of the time it does depend on your previous education, however, Art and Design universities will pay a lot of attention to the portfolio that you provide them. If you have previous experience and/or a good portfolio, you may still be offered an interview.

The entry requirements for our MA Fine Art course are BA 2.1; equivalent professional experience or portfolio; exceptional project proposal.

What is the Undergraduate Degree that you completed?

Harriet
Student Ambassador and First Year Degree Student
chocolat321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hey there,

A lot of the time it does depend on your previous education, however, Art and Design universities will pay a lot of attention to the portfolio that you provide them. If you have previous experience and/or a good portfolio, you may still be offered an interview.

The entry requirements for our MA Fine Art course are BA 2.1; equivalent professional experience or portfolio; exceptional project proposal.

What is the Undergraduate Degree that you completed?

Harriet
Thank you for your reply.
I am asking on behalf of a family member, who has a degree in Linguistics. She did do a 10-15 week long summer programme in Art before her undergraduate degree as a part of her gap year (which had similar modules to a number of Art Foundation courses). She had the option to continue with a BA Fine Arts programme in London, but chose not to for a number of reasons at that time. However, she wants to study Art now. What do colleges/universities look for in a portfolio for MA courses? How should she go about preparing it? She graduates later this year and wants to go on to postgrad in art.
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey!

The best thing to do is to contact each university individually - each will be different and should be happy to put you/ your family member in touch with someone to have a chat about the course and its requirements. If you wanted to speak to someone at our university, you could send an email to [email protected].

A great way to build up a portfolio is to do some short courses, we offer these, as do many other universities across the country. They allow you to learn key skills, whilst also creating work that can be used for portfolios.

In terms of what universities want to see in the portfolios and how much is required, it will depend on the university and the course. This useful document might help you out - but do know that it is specific to PCA. Other universities will advertise what they are looking for in students and students work on the course pages on their websites and/or in prospectuses.

The best advice I can give your family member is to look around and find courses that suit them, contact their admissions teams, and visit them on open days.

Is there anything else I might be able to help you with?
Harriet
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student
chocolat321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Hey!

The best thing to do is to contact each university individually - each will be different and should be happy to put you/ your family member in touch with someone to have a chat about the course and its requirements. If you wanted to speak to someone at our university, you could send an email to [email protected].

A great way to build up a portfolio is to do some short courses, we offer these, as do many other universities across the country. They allow you to learn key skills, whilst also creating work that can be used for portfolios.

In terms of what universities want to see in the portfolios and how much is required, it will depend on the university and the course. This useful document might help you out - but do know that it is specific to PCA. Other universities will advertise what they are looking for in students and students work on the course pages on their websites and/or in prospectuses.

The best advice I can give your family member is to look around and find courses that suit them, contact their admissions teams, and visit them on open days.

Is there anything else I might be able to help you with?
Harriet
Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated!
If I have any other questions, I will post them here!
Thank you again!
Plymouth College Of Art
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No worries at all! Good luck!

Harriet
Student Ambassador and First Year Photography Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
6.19%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (26)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (34)
15.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.1%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (20)
8.85%
Financial worries (13)
5.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
3.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
7.08%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (28)
12.39%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (16)
7.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise