The Student Room Group

Meaningful friendships. My soul's deprived.

My soul is in need of meaningful friendships. Honestly, I'm done searching for it. Made lots of friends so far but non of them sticks, either our interests/personalities don't vibe or I'll have to be nice for sake of formalities.

All of my close friends are somewhere else. I expressed my concerns to them and they're like "No worries!! You'll have be patient and stop searching, people like us will come when you least expected"

But man, I'm worn out. When will it be?!
I guess this is just a phase :/
Reply 1
Original post by CluelessMuke
My soul is in need of meaningful friendships. Honestly, I'm done searching for it. Made lots of friends so far but non of them sticks, either our interests/personalities don't vibe or I'll have to be nice for sake of formalities.

All of my close friends are somewhere else. I expressed my concerns to them and they're like "No worries!! You'll have be patient and stop searching, people like us will come when you least expected"

I have lots of people I talk to, but I wouldn't call any of them 'friends'. I think it's because the word 'friend' means a lot more to certain people. You expect to have deep conversations with them, confide, experience things... A lot of people nowadays just tend to be there for convenience rather than anything particularly personal.

In other words, I completely understand where you're coming from.
Honey it is not a phase. Everybody needs friends to confide in. For example I don't have close friends i however have siblings which I can confide to. A close friend will show up just a bit of patience.
Have you tried making friends online? It's a 50/50 chance the person's going to hate you or become best mates with you, but its still worth a shot.

I'm a really open person and I love bantering around and dark humour, as well as taking the mick out of my mates and myself. I just find the internet to be a place where I can be my real self (I act the same way irl as well and have a bunch of really close mates), so I don't have to pretend to like people online. I do or I don't like you. That way, it's easier to make friends online, since you aren't really restricted to society's norms like you are in real life. I've made soo many close friends online, and its all unfiltered and everyone keeps it real. Turns out one of my really close mates is 3-4th in line to the Dubai throne. If I had met him in real life, my approach to him would be so much more different, but since we met online when I was being myself, he really liked me and now we're best mates.

Basically what I'm saying is, go onto places you like, whether its in a game, or forums online that interest you and try to make mates there. Eventually you can get around to talking to these guys on snap and eventually meeting and getting to know them irl.

It all depends on how open you are, and what type of friendship you're looking for. Whether its a deep/meaningful friendship or one where you just banter around. But I'm sure you can find one. I'm always open to making new friends as well if you'd be down to get to know each other :smile:
Reply 4
I have the same problem. To be honest, that's just British people who haven't left their village in 20 years and who have a horizon until the next fish n chips shop. At university, go find people from literally any other country. They have life experiences and are much deeper.
Until then, feel relieved that you're certainly not alone. Chat with me if you want to.
Original post by CluelessMuke

I know how you feel. The person who I trusted the most stabbed me in the back and left me, my "best friend" started a rumour about me and my "friends" stopped talking to me all because of it. I gave up on the idea of friendship. But that didn't stop me from being positive. Friends come and go, but some friends will stay with you until the very end. Don't fret about it too much. It's life. If you ever need anyone to talk to I'm all ears. Honestly though, don't worry about searching for it. Everything will happen in time.
In the exact same situation. Haven't had an actual friend in a while. I'm an introvert and so generally don't mind not having friends, but sometimes I lie when I say this, because the truth is that sometimes, I do desperately need friends.
Original post by sarcasticfan
Honey it is not a phase. Everybody needs friends to confide in. For example I don't have close friends i however have siblings which I can confide to. A close friend will show up just a bit of patience.

About that, I'm kinda pinched really. I had lots of dissapointment opening up to my family as a kid. So I stopped, and instead slowly try to pick up the pieces myself eversince. Kinda stuck in the middle, welp I do hope that they would realise in the future because they meant a lot to me.
Reply 8
Same here. I've joined a few clubs for things I like but I still haven't found that many people I gel with even there as they're usually already in their own little groups (I thought that when I became an adult people would start being less petty/judging but boy was kid me wrong ahahaha). I can talk to people fine but there's so many people that I have to ALWAYS make the effort to invite out or start talking to, barely any of them will talk to me first. I understand people are busy but you can go like weeks and not hear a thing.

So know how you feel!
Original post by Anonymous
Have you tried making friends online? It's a 50/50 chance the person's going to hate you or become best mates with you, but its still worth a shot.

I'm a really open person and I love bantering around and dark humour, as well as taking the mick out of my mates and myself. I just find the internet to be a place where I can be my real self (I act the same way irl as well and have a bunch of really close mates), so I don't have to pretend to like people online. I do or I don't like you. That way, it's easier to make friends online, since you aren't really restricted to society's norms like you are in real life. I've made soo many close friends online, and its all unfiltered and everyone keeps it real. Turns out one of my really close mates is 3-4th in line to the Dubai throne. If I had met him in real life, my approach to him would be so much more different, but since we met online when I was being myself, he really liked me and now we're best mates.

Basically what I'm saying is, go onto places you like, whether its in a game, or forums online that interest you and try to make mates there. Eventually you can get around to talking to these guys on snap and eventually meeting and getting to know them irl.

It all depends on how open you are, and what type of friendship you're looking for. Whether its a deep/meaningful friendship or one where you just banter around. But I'm sure you can find one. I'm always open to making new friends as well if you'd be down to get to know each other :smile:

I went on Omegle with a close mate of mine before. Just for laughs :ahee:
It was alright but we got lots of **** cams unfortunately. But there are indeed cool people in there. Thinking about it now, I find it kinda weird to go on there by myself, no offence haha.

Making new friends online and actually meeting them outside. Dude, you're awesome. I don't think I could do that even.

"Turns out one of my really close mates is 3-4th in line to the Dubai throne", damnnn , ask him to get you one of that royal Dubai treatment.
Original post by XnessieX
I have the same problem. To be honest, that's just British people who haven't left their village in 20 years and who have a horizon until the next fish n chips shop. At university, go find people from literally any other country. They have life experiences and are much deeper.
Until then, feel relieved that you're certainly not alone. Chat with me if you want to.

I just moved in and
most of my housemates came from different countries. But they like to be by themselves though. 3 of them are in a relationship, so they're always in their own room. You know, couples. Then there are 3 that's like only appears latenight. Wonderers. Another 2 which I'm quite close with, they're outgoing but not really around often. Due to the circumstances in the flat, they normally hang out in their own circle outside.
And there's me :smile:
You guys are really supportive!! I'll definitely keep all of your words in mind :u:
How do you make friends online ?
I relate to this 100%. I’m lucky in that I currently have close friends, but I spent the whole of secondary school feeling the way you do and longing for deep conversations and genuine connections, as opposed to polite small talk and forced interactions. You’ll find your people soon, hang in there :smile: In the meantime, figure out what it is you’re interested in and what your beliefs and values are, and what you would want in a friend.
Original post by atakk
Same here. I've joined a few clubs for things I like but I still haven't found that many people I gel with even there as they're usually already in their own little groups (I thought that when I became an adult people would start being less petty/judging but boy was kid me wrong ahahaha). I can talk to people fine but there's so many people that I have to ALWAYS make the effort to invite out or start talking to, barely any of them will talk to me first. I understand people are busy but you can go like weeks and not hear a thing.

So know how you feel!

yeah, I kid you not it happened to me now 7 times in a row that people I will go to the same uni course with this September stopped writing me back all out of a sudden. they write me 5h straight and then it's like I never exited the next day. But it never happened to me with a non British person before (I go to an international school and never lived in GB before) so I'm really confused. Normally someone, no matter if from south Korea or Germany, is actually interested in you if they talk with you longer than 20min. Are British people just in general fake or what is this all about? why waste time on someone if you're not looking for an actual friend?
Original post by Anonymous
How do you make friends online ?

Find their IP address, show up at their house and BAM, you're friends.

Quick Reply

Latest