Gcse exams Watch

ussy123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am currently in my GCSE year and I wanted to find out about good revision tips and techniques from actual students and not online as they don't work for me. Also I really want to do well but I barely revise, I want to know how to motivate myself and just get on with it. My first exam is I.T which is on 14th MAY 2018. The subjects I am doing are:

-maths
-english language
-english literature
-science
-geography
-product design
-I.C.T
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ussy123)
-maths
-english language
-english literature
-science
-geography
-product design
-I.C.T
Maths = learn it and do lots of questions gradually getting harder.
What spec are you doing for the rest since my advice differs on the exam board. I don't do ICT or product design so I can't help you with those.
ussy123
Rep:
?
Hi, thanks for replying. All my exams are aqa except for I. C. T and maths which are ocr
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ussy123)
Hi thanks for replying. All my exams are aqa except for I. C. T and maths which are ocr

For revising science it depends on whether you understand it or not . If you understand it then you just need to memorise the context. There is a site: https://senecalearning.com/ . which teaches you the context and then it asks you the question. To remember it i would suggest going back on the question like once a week. If you don't understand science then ask something to explain it to you. If you are doing combined science on a site called Quizlet there are some good flash cards for higher.

For geography you basically just need to remember and repeat it in exams.The "seneca" site also has geo and english lit. There is also a site called cool geography (cringy I know) but it has the case studies as well.
For english lang, paper 1 question 3 use the word "focus" and say how the "focus" changes and why the writer would do that. Paper 1 question 4 say how the method links to the statement, how effective it is why the writer would use it and effect on reader. Consider both sides.Paper 1 Question 2 do word analysis , effect on reader. Paper 2 Question 2 just infer. Say what you learn from the text about ???. Paper 2 Question 3 is the same as Paper 1 Question 2. Paper 2 Question 4 Focus on the writer's feeling. How they show those feelings. In one of the extracts there will be a change . Point that out. Say effect on reader. Say if it is bias or not.
Question 5. Use different punctuation. E.g semi-colon,(you use this to link two sentences related to each other and they have to make sense on their own) , brackets , dashes. Also use different length sentence. Short for tension. Start your sentences in different ways. Try and use a method in almost every sentence. (sound crazy but gets marks) Try and add contrast
For English Lit Paper 1: Shakespeare+ Christmas Carol you need to know at least 3 quotes from each Act. Track the changes in what the question asks you. Single word analysis. Why would the writer do this/ use this technique. Effect on reader. Use original ideas. Name every single techniques. Link to context/ time it was written. Analyse structure in each paragraph ( why would the writer tell us this in this part of this play)(btw it will force the examiner to give you higher marks.) Also have alternative meaning.
For English Lit Paper 2 : An Inspector Calls. same as above and have different idea as you go on.
For English Lit Paper 2: Poems explore effect on reader. Explore effect of techniques on reader. Use single embedded quotes.Explore different ideas. Use unique ideas.Use context. Analyse structure and form(the style of writing. e.g poem/dramatic monolgue/sonnet/one stanza.) Single word analysis. Name techniques. Alternative meanings.
ussy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by SmartMemoryGirl!)
For revising science it depends on whether you understand it or not . If you understand it then you just need to memorise the context. There is a site: https://senecalearning.com/ . which teaches you the context and then it asks you the question. To remember it i would suggest going back on the question like once a week. If you don't understand science then ask something to explain it to you. If you are doing combined science on a site called Quizlet there are some good flash cards for higher.

For geography you basically just need to remember and repeat it in exams.The "seneca" site also has geo and english lit. There is also a site called cool geography (cringy I know) but it has the case studies as well.
For english lang, paper 1 question 3 use the word "focus" and say how the "focus" changes and why the writer would do that. Paper 1 question 4 say how the method links to the statement, how effective it is why the writer would use it and effect on reader. Consider both sides.Paper 1 Question 2 do word analysis , effect on reader. Paper 2 Question 2 just infer. Say what you learn from the text about ???. Paper 2 Question 3 is the same as Paper 1 Question 2. Paper 2 Question 4 Focus on the writer's feeling. How they show those feelings. In one of the extracts there will be a change . Point that out. Say effect on reader. Say if it is bias or not.
Question 5. Use different punctuation. E.g semi-colon,(you use this to link two sentences related to each other and they have to make sense on their own) , brackets , dashes. Also use different length sentence. Short for tension. Start your sentences in different ways. Try and use a method in almost every sentence. (sound crazy but gets marks) Try and add contrast
For English Lit Paper 1: Shakespeare+ Christmas Carol you need to know at least 3 quotes from each Act. Track the changes in what the question asks you. Single word analysis. Why would the writer do this/ use this technique. Effect on reader. Use original ideas. Name every single techniques. Link to context/ time it was written. Analyse structure in each paragraph ( why would the writer tell us this in this part of this play)(btw it will force the examiner to give you higher marks.) Also have alternative meaning.
For English Lit Paper 2 : An Inspector Calls. same as above and have different idea as you go on.
For English Lit Paper 2: Poems explore effect on reader. Explore effect of techniques on reader. Use single embedded quotes.Explore different ideas. Use unique ideas.Use context. Analyse structure and form(the style of writing. e.g poem/dramatic monolgue/sonnet/one stanza.) Single word analysis. Name techniques. Alternative meanings.
Thanks for replying, I will use all those websites and see if they help.

Thanks.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads