The Student Room Group

Natalie Portman pulls out of Israel award due to 'distressing recent events' there

Scroll to see replies

Original post by admonit
Because she as a citizen did nothing for her country except spitting at it.

lol

That isn't how citezenship works. I can call the queen a **** and I still have a right to live here. A black woman who's parents came from Jamaica and has worked all her life and payed tax can just be kicked out if she cannot prove citezenship. Where as a complete waster like me gets all the NHS and other goodies as a birth right.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Isreal hawk is probably a better descriptor to use. There are plenty of zionists who are appalled with how the state of Isreal treats palestinians.

If being a zionist means simply the right of Israel to exist then i'd be one. Except it's much more than that
What I find bizarre about this recent rejection, a denouncement of Israel's actions, is that it implies that what is happening now is different from what has been happening for decades. Remember, she has had close ties with Israel and even attended the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 2004. With this recent denouncement, it implies she suddenly only became of the Israel's treatment of its "neighbours" or she was always aware and her tolerance implies acceptance of Israel's previous acts.

I think it is quite an uppity response form her. The organisers of the event are the not the IDF and her refusing to set foot on Israeli, as if it is tainted ground, or as if private Israeli citizens are worthy of dissociation and condemnation, is misplaced.
Reply 43
Original post by admonit
Because she as a citizen did nothing for her country except spitting at it.
Which is well within her right to free speech.
Israel will survive with or without Natalie Portman and this year Israel marks its 70th anniversary
Israel is a terrible country. Not quite with the history and atrocity of America, but very much there.
There are a lot of massacres and so forth that we don't know about, yet.
Original post by physicseastldn
Israel is a terrible country. Not quite with the history and atrocity of America, but very much there.
There are a lot of massacres and so forth that we don't know about, yet.

Israel is defending itself from vicious Arab enemy; end of story.
Original post by higgs334
But you still believe she shouldnt have her citizenship because she criticised her home country so the point stands.

She grew up in the west, if she hated Israel she could have cut ties with it and instead of wasting time on Israeli plays and acting as an ambassador she'd have done better if she'd just acted in movies

I still believe that in current circumstances it would be honest for her to renounce her Israeli citizenship. She doesn't need it.
Yes, on earlier stages of her career she used her Israeli origin. So what?
And I didn't say that she hates Israel.
Original post by anarchism101
Citizenship isn't a reward for doing something "for your country", it's a right.

I already explained that I didn't mean her legal status but rather her quality as a citizen.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Nobody gives a flying ****

And nobody gives a flying **** that you dont give a flying ****
Original post by Trillo
Which is well within her right to free speech.

Have I the right for free speech too? OK: **** her. :cool:
Reply 51
Original post by truthpoet123
Shame on Portman - Narrow minded arm chair critic no clue on the truth.

Oh sweet irony.
Reply 52
Original post by RickHendricks
You're forgetting that that the two state solution was offered many times. Read up on history, with the first proper one being in at 1947, in which Israel were given land by the UN, and during the process of taking the land given to them, the Arabs began their terrorist activities.

The last time they "offered" anything it was clearly an unacceptable proposition to start with. Not to mention im unsure why you feel something from the better part of a century ago is relevent to the here and now?
Equally i'm fairly sure you dont know what a terrorist is.

Saudi arabia is not even a democracy. It's run by a ****ing royal family. That's far from being democratic.

Explain how Israel is not democratic? I didn't bring that up at all, you did.

Because they dont give arabs in the occupied lands a vote and made a point of delisting Arab parties from the ballot in '06?

Last time I remembered, all of Israel citizens can vote in Israel elections. Are Palestinians Israelis?

Well according to Israeli politicians they're not even people.
Original post by Napp
Well according to Israeli politicians they're not even people.

that's pretty rich coming from a pro-pal, considering that Arabs use the argument that apparently they were living in that land for centuries, but here you are, asking me why it's significant that I should bring up something from about 70 years ago.

last time I remembered non citizens in the the UK were not given rights to vote. why does it not suddenly apply in Israel.

which occupied land? the one given to Israel?

that last statement can be argued, and it's more qualitative.
Reply 54
Original post by RickHendricks
that's pretty rich coming from a pro-pal, considering that Arabs use the argument that apparently they were living in that land for centuries, but here you are, asking me why it's significant that I should bring up something from about 70 years ago.

"a pro-pal" dont be so lazy in your "arguments" Not to mention this is not but rank whataboutery :lol:
I'm not asking why its "significant" im saying its irrelevent - especially given most people in the occupied territories are about 3-4 generations removed from then.

last time I remembered non citizens in the the UK were not given rights to vote. why does it not suddenly apply in Israel.

Because we arent squatting on their land perhaps ?:s-smilie:

which occupied land? the one given to Israel?

In ones view, yes. But what i was referring to, strangely enough, was the land they have stolen since then and literally everyone except America recognizes is stolen? :s-smilie: - I mean if you know so little about Israel you don't even know what the occupied territories are you should probably stop trying to confer a point you know nothing about.

that last statement can be argued, and it's more qualitative.

Given that numerous politicians have inferred and outright declared they arent people it isnt so much an arguable point as a simple fact.
Bicker everyone all you like

The facts are

Israel is the Jewish homeland
The Arabs were offered a partition plan
in the 1940s and rejected it
Instead multiple Arab nations attacked
The newly formed Israel
Israel is not even recognised by the
People in gaza West Bank area
And don’t forget the celebrations
When 9/11 occurred
Natalie Portman is completely insignificant
The big picture is protecting Israel from
Aggressive Arab interests
Hamas are terrorists
Unfortunately the people of the
West Bank & gaza are very anti Semitic
and anti Israel
So Israel must protect itself
Why don’t y’all tell the people on the
West Bank and gaza to cease being
Anti Semitic and anti Israel
Instead of supporting anti Israel sentiment
Bicker everyone all you like

The facts are

Israel is the Jewish homeland
The Arabs were offered a partition plan
in the 1940s and rejected it
Instead multiple Arab nations attacked
The newly formed Israel
Israel is not even recognised by the
People in gaza West Bank area
And don’t forget the celebrations
When 9/11 occurred
Natalie Portman is completely insignificant
The big picture is protecting Israel from
Aggressive Arab interests
Hamas are terrorists
Unfortunately the people of the
West Bank & gaza are very anti Semitic
and anti Israel
So Israel must protect itself
Why don’t y’all tell the people on the
West Bank and gaza to cease being
Anti Semitic and anti Israel
Instead of supporting anti Israel sentiment
Original post by Fake Racism
holohoaxrealstatejewishhealth.png

Look up Jewish Scholar Professor R Dommergue

There are many who know that this Holocaust has been grossly exaggerated and downright fabricated from death tolls and what happened in camps.

Unfortunately you have to go along with this narrative it doesn't matter if you're Jewish, or even survived a camp if you go against the popular narrative that is seen as a fact you are a heathen.

I can assure you that you are completely wrong. Enjoy your day.
Original post by higgs334
And yet millions in occupied territory cannot vote. It's run by lunatic corrupt fundamentalists committing international crimes.

Israel pretends to be a democracy to receive special treatment, concessions and economic support from America. At least Saudi Arabia is open about its brutalities because it has balls, Israel doesn't. It's been successful in convincing people like you that Israel is somehow good.

All piece of **** countries, only if the UK stopped sucking off the US :frown:
Original post by Rainfall
And nobody gives a flying **** that you dont give a flying ****

Original

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending