Turn on thread page Beta

Scottish Government - Various Policy and Operational Roles watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Update: I just received an email that said,

'Thank you for undertaking and completing the numerical reasoning test. Whilst we assess the results of this test, we are simultaneously progressing to the next stage of assessment which is a Verbal Reasoning Test.The link for this test will be issued on Monday 14th May 2018 and you will have 7 days to take and complete the test. The deadline for completion will be midnight on Monday 21st May 2018.'Not sure what to make of this. It doesn't say I passed the numerical test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavve)
    Does anyone know if your performance at assessment centre will decide entirely whether you get the job, or if they also combine that with your CV/test answers as a whole before reaching a decision?
    I honestly don't know, but my guess is that the application/C.V is to establish that you have met the minimum competencies and have the right to work in the U.K. Beyond that I would imagine that the assessment centre is where the decisions are made as to who will be offered positions. This is not based on any experience I've had though, just a hunch.

ReputationRep:
    I got an email about vrt will be issued on May 14th, but it doesn’t say if I’ve passed the nrt or not. Any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brawlad)
    Update: I just received an email that said,

'Thank you for undertaking and completing the numerical reasoning test. Whilst we assess the results of this test, we are simultaneously progressing to the next stage of assessment which is a Verbal Reasoning Test.The link for this test will be issued on Monday 14th May 2018 and you will have 7 days to take and complete the test. The deadline for completion will be midnight on Monday 21st May 2018.'Not sure what to make of this. It doesn't say I passed the numerical test!
    I also got the email, but went into my junk folder, just incase anyone is hitting panic stations that they don’t have it.

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    Got that same E-mail, but they say you will get feedback as well, so waiting for that before I take it as passing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wavve)
    Does anyone know if your performance at assessment centre will decide entirely whether you get the job, or if they also combine that with your CV/test answers as a whole before reaching a decision?
    I think so. Your CV and cover letter get you to this point, the tests to the next and getting the job is based on your performance at the ac. You do have a chance to discuss your cv anyway at this point.

ReputationRep:
    If everyone got that email talking about the verbal reasoning test then I'd say it's not indicative of having passed the first test. Having said that it's a bizzare way of working, when will the people who haven't passed the first test be told?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMB95)
    If everyone got that email talking about the verbal reasoning test then I'd say it's not indicative of having passed the first test. Having said that it's a bizzare way of working, when will the people who haven't passed the first test be told?
    I agree that it's a strange way to go about things. Perhaps they are behind in the process and just want to get us through the tests as quickly as possible? As I understand it there is no feedback on our online tests, so we wouldn't know which stage we failed on. Not that anyone is failing anyway!

Regardless, I see it as a positive to have access to the VR test. Anyone who is successful through the whole process would have to do it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's a strange way to go about things. Perhaps they are behind in the process and just want to get us through the tests as quickly as possible? As I understand it there is no feedback on our online tests, so we wouldn't know which stage we failed on. Not that anyone is failing anyway!

Regardless, I see it as a positive to have access to the VR test. Anyone who is successful through the whole process would have to do it anyway.
    It says in the candidate guide attached to the e-mails that you will receive automatically-generated feedback, although not sure what that entails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drodadon)
    It says in the candidate guide attached to the e-mails that you will receive automatically-generated feedback, although not sure what that entails.
    You're quite right, I've just re-read that! Is there a situational judgement test? Can't see anything about that.

ReputationRep:
    You're quite right, I've just re-read that! Is there a situational judgement test? Can't see anything about that.
    Haven't seen anything about a SJ test.

ReputationRep:
    Having re-read that email, I'm certain they are going to just issue the test to everyone and then analyse the final results afterwards.

That can only be a good thing for both parties. We get a chance to prove ourselves over two tests, rather than potentially falling at the first hurdle and for them it makes sure they do not eliminate a good candidate too early and can make an overall assessment.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what sort of start date this would be? and also where the jobs likely to be posted? i would guess most jobs would be in Edinburgh and some in Glasgow

ReputationRep:
    Rats! Seems there is to be a situational judgement test after all. I had to do one for the Civil Service Fast Stream and I find them frustrating. There are questions asking what you would do given hypothetical circumstances, but I'd do what's best based on those I'm interacting with, and no two people are identical. Guess I just need to worry about one test at a time! Has anyone else any experience of situational judgement tests?

Good luck to all on the VR test.

ReputationRep:
    This is such a bizarre and long winded process. The fact you aren't getting told whether you've passed the previous test and simultaneously moved on, is perplexing.

The civil service(UK) process is much more simple and open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jg2012)
    This is such a bizarre and long winded process. The fact you aren't getting told whether you've passed the previous test and simultaneously moved on, is perplexing.

The civil service(UK) process is much more simple and open.
    I think the intention was to let people know if they've passed and only those ones move on but I'm guessing they've had some issues with the process.

ReputationRep:
    Rats! Seems there is to be a situational judgement test after all. I had to do one for the Civil Service Fast Stream and I find them frustrating. There are questions asking what you would do given hypothetical circumstances, but I'd do what's best based on those I'm interacting with, and no two people are identical. Guess I just need to worry about one test at a time! Has anyone else any experience of situational judgement tests?

Good luck to all on the VR test.
    Yeah I find those ones really frustrating as well. I think the best thing is to learn what competencies the SG look for and try to align your answers with those.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the verbal reasoning test link yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulexam)
    Has anyone got the verbal reasoning test link yet?
    I received it just after noon today

ReputationRep:
    I got mine around 2ish today it may be in your spam or junk mail

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.