State or private sixth form Watch

blueamaraxx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone so I am currently at a private secondary school after going to a state primary. I was considering whether a private or state sixth form would be best for me.

Pros for state:
- parents dont have a whole lot of money and want to save them
- universities like it
- less sheltered and more real people (lol im going to upset some other private pupils but it is true)
- tbh the grades at my private weren’t great not what you’d expect for paying fees but i guess its down to the individual

Pros for private:
- smaller classes so more attention
- would be same as secondary so would be used to it

Would be grateful for some advice, thanks in advance
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
frantika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I think private 6th form. I have been to a private school all my life (and I hate it), and literally the only time it has felt to be worth the money was during 6th form.

Things like smaller classes for A levels, teachers helping you with university applications, exam technique etc. are all invaluable. If you said you didn't do well in previous grades because of yourself, then private 6th form will certainly benefit you. Not to mention you said it's at the same school so it will save you a lot of new-friend-making and fitting-in time.

(also I agree with what you said about people at private school being sheltered and fake; though certainly not everyone is like that, there are many people who are, and I can't stand them! But 6th form isn't really the time to make friends, it's the time to get into a good uni)

That's my advice
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by blueamaraxx)
Hey everyone so I am currently at a private secondary school after going to a state primary. I was considering whether a private or state sixth form would be best for me.

Pros for state:
- parents dont have a whole lot of money and want to save them
- universities like it
- less sheltered and more real people (lol im going to upset some other private pupils but it is true)
- tbh the grades at my private weren’t great not what you’d expect for paying fees but i guess its down to the individual

Pros for private:
- smaller classes so more attention
- would be same as secondary so would be used to it

Would be grateful for some advice, thanks in advance
It depends on the state school that you have in mind.

My kids all went to state schools ( grammars) and all did well - my daughter now doing PhD; son is a physics teacher. My niece and nephews went to private and all have done rather badly. They were spoon fed at the private school and have not been able to adapt to the real world.

The fees should not come into it. Your parents chose to send you private and money can always be found.

However, if you are driven to study and the state school is a good one, then I would go state. When you get to university you will be better able to cope. My daughter says she can always spot the private pupil as they struggle.

Just make sure that whatever you do - work hard. This is the one time in life when hard work really pays off.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by frantika)
Personally, I think private 6th form. I have been to a private school all my life (and I hate it), and literally the only time it has felt to be worth the money was during 6th form.

Things like smaller classes for A levels, teachers helping you with university applications, exam technique etc. are all invaluable. If you said you didn't do well in previous grades because of yourself, then private 6th form will certainly benefit you. Not to mention you said it's at the same school so it will save you a lot of new-friend-making and fitting-in time.

(also I agree with what you said about people at private school being sheltered and fake; though certainly not everyone is like that, there are many people who are, and I can't stand them! But 6th form isn't really the time to make friends, it's the time to get into a good uni)

That's my advice
The teachers do actually help with applications and exam technique in state schools you know. My children - all state educated - had fantastic support - and the final destinations proved that - Nottingham, UCL and Bristol.
Wolfram Alpha
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the schools y
frantika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
The teachers do actually help with applications and exam technique in state schools you know. My children - all state educated - had fantastic support - and the final destinations proved that - Nottingham, UCL and Bristol.
I do know that. But you also must know that not all state schools do provide 'fantastic support' at this stage- that is literally the main reason why the majority of private school students go to great universities, because of the great support. Furthermore, you seem to imply that you don't work hard at private school and private school kids will struggle when you reach university. That may be true for the school your nieces and nephews went too, but believe me, that is not true for mine!

So what am I saying? I'm saying that there are some brilliant state schools, and there are some woeful private schools- you can't paint them all with the same brush. So as you mentioned, it depends on the state school; if it's very good and the private school isn't then obviously the OP should go to the state.

However, OP has been at this private school for many years, and the teachers know her/him and (s)he knows the system. His/her character has already been built up, so (s)he shouldn't decide school on the basis of whether they'll be 'spoon-fed everything' etc. (S)he should pick a 6th form purely on academic merits. And you can't deny that private schools, for whatever reason, send more people to good unis than state schools.

Best wishes.
Alexty28
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The environment is better at a state sixth form, never been to a private sixth form but they all like look like a continuation of secondary school. State colleges are not like state schools, people are generally more professional and mature, and because their are more people it's easier to find more people with similar interests and easier to avoid the people you don't like . I have friends who go to private colleges, and they mostly regret it due to it being such a small college, how they are normally attached to a secondary school and normally have limited subject choice. The thing is if you are going to a state college you have to be strict on yourself as you will have to work more independently, if you go to a private one you will get more help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%