The Student Room Group

Flemings Left Hand Rule

Hi guys, I have a query about Fleming's Left Hand Rule - with the 'current' finger, is this the direction of CONVENTIONAL current or the direction of electron flow? I still don't know this and I can't find something to help me with it online. I've assumed it's electron flow but I keep getting questions wrong.

Thank you
“Thumb” is direction for the force
“First finger” is the field’s direction
“Middle finger” is current

Hope this helps, :smile:
Original post by dreamerz11

Sorry, forgot to add. Conventional current would be the opposite direction the “current” finger
Reply 3
Original post by dreamerz11

Thanks but I knew this - I'm just not sure if the current finger refers to conventional current or the flow of electrons, in terms of the direction

Edit: So the current finger is the direction of electron flow? Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by iMacJack
Hi guys, I have a query about Fleming's Left Hand Rule - with the 'current' finger, is this the direction of CONVENTIONAL current or the direction of electron flow? I still don't know this and I can't find something to help me with it online. I've assumed it's electron flow but I keep getting questions wrong.

Thank you

Conventional current
Reply 5
Original post by G.Y
Conventional current

Hmm, this is a bit confusing. The other person is saying that the conventional current is the opposite direction to the 'current' finger? Any chance you could clear this up please! Thank you
Convential I think.
Reply 7
Hmm, this is a bit confusing. The other person is saying that the conventional current is the opposite direction to the 'current' finger? Any chance you could clear this up please! Thank you

He's wrong. The current finger is conventional current, so the electron flow would be in the opposite direction.
Reply 8
Original post by G.Y
He's wrong. The current finger is conventional current, so the electron flow would be in the opposite direction.

Okay I see, would explain why I've got the questions wrong whilst using it as electron flow. Thanks a lot.
Okay I see, would explain why I've got the questions wrong whilst using it as electron flow. Thanks a lot.

In other words, the flow of current is positive to negative for the current finger (that’s what I was trying to get at but I don’t know how clear that was sorry for any confusion) :smile:
Reply 10
If you're using your left hand then the current flow is conventional

Quick Reply