The Student Room Group

How easy is it to get out of a university place after I accept it?

Hi all,

I have currently got offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and Lancaster, but I really wanted to go to St. Andrews, however I was rejected. So now I am considering taking a year out, but only if I get an internship. I've applied for IBM, Accenture, Deloitte and the Speakers Parliamentary Scheme, and I've got through to further pre-screening for a few of them, but none of them have been confirmed. I'm trying to keep all my options open right now, however I really really want to go to St.Andrews and I'm so determined to get in, but if I don't get the grades in August, then I will have to go to Aberdeen, but if not then I will definitely take the year out.

So if I am to accept my place at Aberdeen, how easy will it be to get out of my place, accommodation ect because I am slightly worrying that I will not be able to get out of it if I do accept and then end up not wanting to go! Also if anyone knows how long it takes for internships to send you to their Assessment Centre or give you an offer that would be great!

Thank you!!
Original post by beckyaitken
Hi all,

I have currently got offers from Aberdeen, Glasgow and Lancaster, but I really wanted to go to St. Andrews, however I was rejected. So now I am considering taking a year out, but only if I get an internship. I've applied for IBM, Accenture, Deloitte and the Speakers Parliamentary Scheme, and I've got through to further pre-screening for a few of them, but none of them have been confirmed. I'm trying to keep all my options open right now, however I really really want to go to St.Andrews and I'm so determined to get in, but if I don't get the grades in August, then I will have to go to Aberdeen, but if not then I will definitely take the year out.

So if I am to accept my place at Aberdeen, how easy will it be to get out of my place, accommodation ect because I am slightly worrying that I will not be able to get out of it if I do accept and then end up not wanting to go! Also if anyone knows how long it takes for internships to send you to their Assessment Centre or give you an offer that would be great!

Thank you!!

Accommodation will vary between universities so check your contract, otherwise you just call the university and tell them you no longer want to take up the place.
Hi all,

Thank you!!

Backing out of the place is very easy, there won't be any problems with this. Backing out of accommodation can be a bit more tricky- if it's uni halls they probably won't want financial commitments before results day anyway, but private accommodation may want deposits etc, which you will probably lose if you back out.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Backing out of the place is very easy, there won't be any problems with this. Backing out of accommodation can be a bit more tricky- if it's uni halls they probably won't want financial commitments before results day anyway, but private accommodation may want deposits etc, which you will probably lose if you back out.

Even if I do lose the money do you think it'll be okay to get out of the accommodation contract?
Even if I do lose the money do you think it'll be okay to get out of the accommodation contract?

It'll be fine if it's uni accommodation, as they'll nearly always be able to find someone to fill the space. If it's private halls, you'll need to check your contract very carefully- often you will be liable for finding a replacement or a terms worth of fees. With a private landlord it may depend what you have signed up to, but normally you'll be able to get out of the contract if you haven't moved in yet.

But contracts do vary, so check very carefully before you sign up to anything!
Getting your deposits back is never easy. Generally impossible.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It'll be fine if it's uni accommodation, as they'll nearly always be able to find someone to fill the space. If it's private halls, you'll need to check your contract very carefully- often you will be liable for finding a replacement or a terms worth of fees. With a private landlord it may depend what you have signed up to, but normally you'll be able to get out of the contract if you haven't moved in yet.

But contracts do vary, so check very carefully before you sign up to anything!

Thank you, you have been so helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest