The Student Room Group

Does anyone else just want to be a house wife?

I feel like the pressure of feminism is making me feel judged about wanting to work a bit, get married, quit my job and have children so I would stay home to be a house wife. Whenever I tell people this they think it’s weird because A career isn’t more important to family to me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I feel like the pressure of feminism is making me feel judged about wanting to work a bit, get married, quit my job and have children so I would stay home to be a house wife. Whenever I tell people this they think it’s weird because A career isn’t more important to family to me

you should do what works for you and your future family, spending time thinking about what other people think isn't productive.
yes
nah
There's nothing wrong with wanting a family, but there is more to life. Wouldn't you want to have adult interactions during the day, make your own money and have time away from home? It's whatever works for you obviously, but I find the idea of expecting a spouse to pay for everything unfair.
Reply 5
Original post by Conconz
There's nothing wrong with wanting a family, but there is more to life. Wouldn't you want to have adult interactions during the day, make your own money and have time away from home? It's whatever works for you obviously, but I find the idea of expecting a spouse to pay for everything unfair.

Id make my own money by dress making from home
Reply 6
I don’t mind. When I have children, I’m going to stay at home and look after them for sure insha’Allah.

Some people say that I’m weird for thinking this way too but who cares about them.
There's nothing wrong with it, dont feel pressured by third wave feminists.
I also wish I could just do that, but there I fear for financial security if only one parent is working.
Feminism is about empowering women and removing stigmas to allow women to do what they want to do without being told they cant. Dont worry no true feminist will ever judge you ❤️
I consider myself a feminist but I too wouldn’t mind just looking after my kid at home. However personally I feel that it would become monotonous, and when the kid is old enough for school I would want to have something to do during the day. I am the kind of person who HATES being stuck at home. I wouldn’t mind working part time. Forget about the people who judge you for the life you want to live.

Feminism is about women’s choices. I would say that anyone who judges you and claims to be a feminist isn’t in fact a feminist.

Also, I glanced at this thread title in trending threads. I thought it was going to say ‘does anyone else just want to be a hoe?’
(edited 5 years ago)
Nothing wrong with that OP, if you're in a position to manage with just one earner in the household. It's got to be better for the kids to have their mother around while they're young.
Feminism has always been about choice: the ability to choose between being a housewife and having a career, for example. If you're planning on making dresses from home and selling them, that means you are operating a business and you do have a career by the way :wink: You're having your cake and eating it too, which sounds great if that's what you want and that's the right choice for your future family!
Original post by Michelle Bieger
Feminism has always been about choice: the ability to choose between being a housewife and having a career, for example.

If feminism is all about women's choices, it's odd that the feminists of today appear to insist that 50% of mathematicians, computer scientists, physicists, etc -- roles that women are less likely to choose to pursue -- should be women.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
If feminism is all about women's choices, it's odd that the feminists of today appear to insist that 50% of mathematicians, computer scientists, physicists, etc -- roles that women are less likely to choose to pursue -- should be women.

The argument behind that is that there are systematic patriarchal reasons that discourage women from taking those roles. Feminism is about abolishing those gendered expectations that are behind the reasons that women do not take up those roles. I would suggest a book like Inferior by Angela Saini for well-researched background information on this.
Original post by Shanxxox
Feminism is about empowering women and removing stigmas to allow women to do what they want to do without being told they cant. Dont worry no true feminist will ever judge you ❤️

Wrong. The OP has clearly been indoctrinated by decades of conservative propaganda raising young girls to be slaved to the patriarchy. She is entrapped by our male-dominated culture into believing she is inferior.

We need to purge these daemons from her soul. I recon dancing in torn underwear around a fire at midnight on top of a hill should do it.
Original post by Michelle Bieger
The argument behind that is that there are systematic patriarchal reasons that discourage women from taking those roles.

I am well aware of what the argument is. The problem is its consistency with your/ modern feminists' other positions.

Presumably the same 'systematic patriarchal reasons' you mention here underlie the OP's thoughts about becoming a housewife.

Why do you not object to this?

You are either for choice, or you are not. If you believe that choice is invalidated by social structures, that has to apply across the board, and it makes it very difficult for you to claim that 'choice' is what you are all about.
If that is what you want, then do not let others get in the way of your goal.

Before you do that, it's wise to get some decent qualifications and work experience under your belt. At some point in the future, if you decide you want more freedom from the home, you will at least not be starting with nothing.
Original post by uberteknik
If that is what you want, then do not let others get in the way of your goal.

Before you do that, it's wise to get some decent qualifications and work experience under your belt. At some point in the future, if you decide you want more freedom from the home, you will at least not be starting with nothing.

Oh yeah of course. I’m doing a levels at the moment and I passed all my GCSEs but I don’t want to go to university. I prefer learning whilst working, or working by myself
I kind of do, especially when the kids are young. It would be easier for me to be childcare than having to rely on grandparents or someone else to care for them. If my partner earns enough to support us, then I think I'd be happy at home. My aim is to have my own bakery, and that will probably start from home in my kitchen, so it makes sense for me to be at home. Tbh I'm a bit of a control freak too so I can see myself having one way to do everything with kids and becomes anxious if some other person does something a different way.

I don't think it's bad to be a housewife. My partner's sisters are. One has her own Etsy shop she runs from home, with their other sister helping her a bit. It means it can be easier to have a cleaner home and be more organised.

Then maybe when the kids are in school or old enough to be home alone a job can come into it. But hopefully my bakery can be successful so I can just bake tasty things all day. :smile:

Quick Reply