The Student Room Group

I’m never going to date a man again; convince me otherwise

I made this thread earlier but I realised the title was worded badly. Basically I’m bi but the majority of my experiences with guys have been garbage. I find women easier to read and understand and deal with issues with. I don’t know if my taste in men is just worse than with women, but the most recent guy has honestly just put me off. Admittedly he’d never dated anyone before, but he did all the bad stereotypes of boys in relationships (and broke my heart repeatedly). I recently made amends and apologised (despite me not being in the wrong, I’m not being stubborn I’m being honest) because I wanted to be ‘the bigger man’ and he said we were cool and blocked me. I want to give guys another chance but maybe I’ll have to make them work a bit harder (which I always thought was stupid but hey ho). Can anyone convince me that there are actual intelligent (by that I mean wise) guys out there who are passionate and kind? They all never seem to come in one package 😐 (I’m a girl)

Scroll to see replies

No one can really convince you to try going out with men again but there are some good men out there who are what you’re looking for, it just takes time. But it’s personal preference at the end of the day.
dont care
Original post by Anonymous
I made this thread earlier but I realised the title was worded badly. Basically I’m bi but the majority of my experiences with guys have been garbage. I find women easier to read and understand and deal with issues with. I don’t know if my taste in men is just worse than with women, but the most recent guy has honestly just put me off. Admittedly he’d never dated anyone before, but he did all the bad stereotypes of boys in relationships (and broke my heart repeatedly). I recently made amends and apologised (despite me not being in the wrong, I’m not being stubborn I’m being honest) because I wanted to be ‘the bigger man’ and he said we were cool and blocked me. I want to give guys another chance but maybe I’ll have to make them work a bit harder (which I always thought was stupid but hey ho). Can anyone convince me that there are actual intelligent (by that I mean wise) guys out there who are passionate and kind? They all never seem to come in one package 😐 (I’m a girl)

There's more men than women out there. You just picked the bad apples, that's all.
Lady, you think I'm gonna waste my time trying to convince you

Ain't nobody got time for that
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
There's more men than women out there. You just picked the bad apples, that's all.

Technically there are more women than men :tongue:
Nobody can convince you to want to be with a man. Do whatever makes you happy
Reply 7
Get a life.
Reply 8
Original post by Maker
Get a life.

I have a life it’s just a rough patch rn :/ why is this used as an insult, I was just asking for advice man
Reply 9
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
Lady, you think I'm gonna waste my time trying to convince you

Ain't nobody got time for that

Fair enough, not even mad
Original post by SuperHuman98
Technically there are more women than men :tongue:

Must be just china then... 😅

Not to judge you or assume, but most girls go for trash guys who are most likely attractive and popular and never treat women right.

Just don't always look for people who are trash you will be able to tell who those men are. The men that are the complete package are more often then not single and when they like someone they most likely get rejected or played around with. Don't judge us all as one just look for the signs of people who aren't trash men and women. Tbh I've been way to nice to most girls and it never gets me anywhere that's why i am single, being nice and respectful don't get most dudes who anywhere unless they have some perfect chiselled jaw.

Hope you don't judge us all the same
Original post by Super_47
Not to judge you or assume, but most girls go for trash guys who are most likely attractive and popular and never treat women right.

Just don't always look for people who are trash you will be able to tell who those men are. The men that are the complete package are more often then not single and when they like someone they most likely get rejected or played around with. Don't judge us all as one just look for the signs of people who aren't trash men and women. Tbh I've been way to nice to most girls and it never gets me anywhere that's why i am single, being nice and respectful don't get most dudes who anywhere unless they have some perfect chiselled jaw.

Hope you don't judge us all the same

I actually have only ever dated my friends; I don’t date for the sake of dating or because I find someone fit, but because I’ve gotten to know them and I realise I want to know them more. I don’t judge all guys as I wouldn’t want people to do that to me, it’s just a rough patch 😅 it’s good that you’re actually nice though, I’m sure it will get you somewhere :smile:
I will assume a few things before making the following statement. If those things aren't correct, then fair enough.

I'm going to guess you're young. Under 20, certainly.
And I'm going to assume that, given you date friends, then the guys are approximately the same age as you.

It's well known that guys and girls mature at different rates, that girls develop mentally - and especially in emotional intelligence - ahead of guys.

With that in mind, dating guys your age, and especially young guys, will always lead to these kinds of problems because they simply don't know how to handle it.

Give yourself a few years to really get into the swing of it, and for the guys to catch up - or go for guys a couple of years older.
I actually have only ever dated my friends; I don’t date for the sake of dating or because I find someone fit, but because I’ve gotten to know them and I realise I want to know them more. I don’t judge all guys as I wouldn’t want people to do that to me, it’s just a rough patch 😅 it’s good that you’re actually nice though, I’m sure it will get you somewhere :smile:

Loool dating friends is a tricky area, Sorry if it I assumed a bit about you well I hope you get through your rough patch and things improve for you. Then you can be happy with a guy or a girl which ever you decide. I'm not counting on it so I'll just keep going as I am if it happens good if not ohh well:biggrin:
Take some time out from relationships and focus on yourself for a while. Not all guys are jerks, just as many women that can be absolutely awful.

Not really interested in whether you date anyone again.

I would say:

1. Get yourself and your self esteem sorted out.
2. Learn to read and understand people.
3. Know when to let go.
4. Realise everyone isnt the same, even if your experience has been poor.
5. Just learn to be smarter and avoid repeating past mistakes to improve your chances going forward.
Original post by Super_47
Loool dating friends is a tricky area, Sorry if it I assumed a bit about you well I hope you get through your rough patch and things improve for you. Then you can be happy with a guy or a girl which ever you decide. I'm not counting on it so I'll just keep going as I am if it happens good if not ohh well:biggrin:

Aha that’s alright, didn’t give you much to go on :smile: well that’s a good way to live :biggrin:
Original post by Elastichedgehog
Take some time out from relationships and focus on yourself for a while. Not all guys are jerks, just as many women that can be absolutely awful.

Aye I’m focusing on myself before I go uni and meet loads of new people :smile:
Aye you are right, I kinda just need people to bluntly say it to really get it in my head :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest