The Student Room Group

Guardian trying to portray Enoch Powell and his supporters as 'racists'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by generallee

We are obsessed with the unity of the UK, are we not? With the independence of Scotland and Ulster becoming part of Eire. Powell argued that the devolution policies introduced by the government of his day, would lead to a weakening of the ties between the countries in the United Kingdom. He said these polices were deeply foolish as they It would unleash forces that break the nation state up. It is still too early to say whether that will happen, but can anyone confidently assert that he was wrong?

I'd say in Northern Ireland he was quite clearly wrong. Post-1998 devolution there has had the opposite effect - it has reconciled the bulk of Northern Irish Catholics to being part of the UK, and Dublin has abandoned their constitutional irredentist claims on the North as part of the same deal.

In Wales support for independence was negligible before devolution, and it still is now.

The only area where you could really argue he had a point was Scotland, and even there it's more complicated than that. Support for independence had already been increasing before 1997, at a very gradual rate since the late 1970s (possibly before that too, but we don't have polling data going back that far). Neither devolution, nor the SNP entering government in 2007, noticeably accelerated that trend - what did was the referendum campaign.
Original post by Sinnoh
He straight-up said "In fifteen or twenty years the black man will have the whip hand over the white man"

He meant women but got mixed up.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
He straight-up said "In fifteen or twenty years the black man will have the whip hand over the white man"

As things stand, the "black man" has more fight and guts than the "white man". So his predictions... somewhat stand to logic, even if they have no materialized.

Hard times mould hard people. I don't have an issue with that alone. We need hard people. What I don't like is people playing games with racism, and that goes both ways.
Original post by anarchism101
I'd say in Northern Ireland he was quite clearly wrong. Post-1998 devolution there has had the opposite effect - it has reconciled the bulk of Northern Irish Catholics to being part of the UK, and Dublin has abandoned their constitutional irredentist claims on the North as part of the same deal.

In Wales support for independence was negligible before devolution, and it still is now.

The only area where you could really argue he had a point was Scotland, and even there it's more complicated than that. Support for independence had already been increasing before 1997, at a very gradual rate since the late 1970s (possibly before that too, but we don't have polling data going back that far). Neither devolution, nor the SNP entering government in 2007, noticeably accelerated that trend - what did was the referendum campaign.

Northern Ireland was and is an unbelievably complicated situation, and if I am totally honest I am not sufficiently interested to investigate what he said on the subject of the devolution of power there. He was a Unionist MP for many years, of course so may have had to stick to the party line. (Not that sticking to the party line was a strength area of his).

Wales had/has a much more diluted Devolution package than Scotland, with a far weaker elected body. So the question is, would the cause of independence have become stronger there if the example of Scotland had been followed, and a parliament with relatively wide ranging powers introduced?

As for Scotland we will never know if the animus towards independence would have been as strong without devolution. That is counter factual. But we do know that post the introduction of the Scottish Parliament (brought in by a desperately weak minority Labour Government in an attempt to hold onto power, don't forget, with little if any thought given to the possible long term consequences) after year upon year of of a governing party totally committed to independence waging a determined and skilful campaign to achieve it, we are on the very brink of a Scottish breakaway. It could well happen in our lifetimes, it would have been considered utterly inconceivable in the seventies
Reply 24
Original post by Sinnoh

You should read the entire speech, not just the cherry picked bits. Those weren't actually Powell's own words, he was quoting what one of his Wolverhampton consitituents had said to him. He was trying to highlight the level of discontent among the majority of the native population, towards mass-immigration, he was not suggesting that blacks would literally be in charge of the country within 15 - 20 years.

Powell was right in a great many of his predictions. We have seen a steady rise in interethnic tensions in the following decades. There have been numerous race riots and crime increases in the areas that have seen heavy non-white immigration. Immigrants and their descendents do increasingly (sometimes disproportionately) possess influence over the our government, media, public institutions, even the British native culture, customs and traditions.

In other ways he perhaps underestimated the negative impacts. I don't think he saw the dangers radical Islam would eventually present to us. And I certainly don't think in a million years he could have forseen that thousands of vulnerable, young, white girls in multiple towns and cities across the country over several decades, would be groomed, molested, drugged, gang raped, kidknapped, tortured, prostituted and trafficked on an industrial scale by gangs of predominately Pakistani men.

I don't care what ******** economic arguments people wish to make in favour of the immigration and multiculturalism Powell opposed. The social impacts have been overwhelmingly negative, and I don't see how any sensible person can say otherwise.

Enoch Powell was right, and he was a damn finer calibre of politician than any of the absolute clowns we have to endure in parliament today.
(edited 6 years ago)
Enoch Powell has been proven right by history.
Original post by Fungal toe nail
Enoch Powell has been proven right by history.

Are Sikhs wearing turbans really a canker as Powell claimed?

Is it right to say of the Windrush generation, because it is of them who Powell wrote, that the majority of them had no desire to integrate?

And if Powell was so right over race relations, isn't it bloody odd that he had nothing at all to say about radical Islam?

And finally, when Powell wished all credit to the Labour MP John Stonehouse for his insight and courage; was that for going bankrupt, running off with his secretary or for faking his suicide.
Original post by The RAR
Powell’s speech was a touchstone for racists and the far right, and is still celebrated by the racist right of today, who say “Enoch was right”.....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/19/the-real-lesson-of-enoch-powell-rivers-of-blood-speech

Do you actually think he was a racist? Or at least his speech 'Rivers of Blood' as racist?

Pressure for mass immigration into EVERY White country and ONLY White countries is a deliberate scheme to promote White Genocide.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white.

Diversity means chasing down Whites.

Diversity is White Genocide.
Original post by Wōden
You should read the entire speech, not just the cherry picked bits. Those weren't actually Powell's own words, he was quoting what one of his Wolverhampton consitituents had said to him. He was trying to highlight the level of discontent among the majority of the native population, towards mass-immigration, he was not suggesting that blacks would literally be in charge of the country within 15 - 20 years.

Powell was right in a great many of his predictions. We have seen a steady rise in interethnic tensions in the following decades. There have been numerous race riots and crime increases in the areas that have seen heavy non-white immigration. Immigrants and their descendents do increasingly (sometimes disproportionately) possess influence over the our government, media, public institutions, even the British native culture, customs and traditions.

In other ways he perhaps underestimated the negative impacts. I don't think he saw the dangers radical Islam would eventually present to us. And I certainly don't think in a million years he could have forseen that thousands of vulnerable, young, white girls in multiple towns and cities across the country over several decades, would be groomed, molested, drugged, gang raped, kidknapped, tortured, prostituted and trafficked on an industrial scale by gangs of predominately Pakistani men.

I don't care what ******** economic arguments people wish to make in favour of the immigration and multiculturalism Powell opposed. The social impacts have been overwhelmingly negative, and I don't see how any sensible person can say otherwise.

Enoch Powell was right, and he was a damn finer calibre of politician than any of the absolute clowns we have to endure in parliament today.

You're exaggerating the effects.

Of course you dont care about the economy. that requires intelligence.
Reply 29
Original post by mojosodope
You're exaggerating the effects.

Am I? Where specifically am I exaggerating?

Of course you dont care about the economy. that requires intelligence.

Ah, here we go with the snide insults. Usually it's a pretty clear sign that someone doesn't actually have any argument....

I didn't say I don't care about the economy, I said I don't care about the economic arguments in favour of mass immigration because I think the social effects are far, far more important, and far too many don't consider them at all, especially at the corporate and political level. They seem to view all humans, not as a diverse patchwork of unique collectives resulting from tens of thousands of years worth of evolutionary and social development, but as nothing more than individual, interchangeable economic units, who can just be shuffled around like battery hens.
Well that is shocking
Original post by Wōden
Am I? Where specifically am I exaggerating?

Ah, here we go with the snide insults. Usually it's a pretty clear sign that someone doesn't actually have any argument....

I didn't say I don't care about the economy, I said I don't care about the economic arguments in favour of mass immigration because I think the social effects are far, far more important, and far too many don't consider them at all, especially at the corporate and political level. They seem to view all humans, not as a diverse patchwork of unique collectives resulting from tens of thousands of years worth of evolutionary and social development, but as nothing more than individual, interchangeable economic units, who can just be shuffled around like battery hens.

Well no, because if you're going to ignore the economic benefits (which are very significant) then you'll be able to paint whatever picture you like. In other words you're just throwing bait and not an actual argument. Because beyond the pakistani grooming gangs you havent substantiated any of what youve said (race riots? lmao, far as im concerned its the whites engaged in this). You're also a long way away from justifying the fact that the social effects are "overwhelmingly negative". Simply pointing out racial tensions (which are largely created by disgruntled benefits claiming whites) isnt an argument.
Original post by nulli tertius

And if Powell was so right over race relations, isn't it bloody odd that he had nothing at all to say about radical Islam?

Firstly, Islamic immigration wasn't really much of a thing back then.

Secondly, many of the commonly spoken about radical s***h**** were hell of a lot more Liberal and westernised back then compared to now.
Original post by The RAR
Powell’s speech was a touchstone for racists and the far right, and is still celebrated by the racist right of today, who say “Enoch was right”.....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/19/the-real-lesson-of-enoch-powell-rivers-of-blood-speech

Do you actually think he was a racist? Or at least his speech 'Rivers of Blood' as racist?

Enoch Powell was a great man who used his timelord powers with that speech to alter the course of history so that things didn't get as bad as his speech proclaimed they would.
Original post by Jebedee
Firstly, Islamic immigration wasn't really much of a thing back then.

There were three times as many Muslims in Britain as Sikhs but it was the Sikhs whom Powell singled out in his speech.

However saying "Powell was right" means you are saying that Powell accurately predicted the future. One cannot excuse a fortune teller who gets it wrong due to unexpected events.

Powell was not right regarding West Indians, Sikhs or Muslims. What he predicted, has not come to pass. Other events to which he made no reference have occurred,

Powell wasn't only wrong about immigration.

He was wrong about Ulster and would have brought about a shooting war with the South. Powell opposed the principle that the NI remained in the UK only by consent of the majority of the people of NI. His view was that the UK should retain NI even if a majority of people wanted a United Ireland.

He was wrong about America and would have undermined the UK in the Cold War.

As his boss Peter Thorneycroft who resigned with him, later admitted, Powell was even wrong in timing to resign over public spending.
There were three times as many Muslims in Britain as Sikhs but it was the Sikhs whom Powell singled out in his speech.

However saying "Powell was right" means you are saying that Powell accurately predicted the future. One cannot excuse a fortune teller who gets it wrong due to unexpected events.

Powell was not right regarding West Indians, Sikhs or Muslims. What he predicted, has not come to pass. Other events to which he made no reference have occurred,

Powell wasn't only wrong about immigration.

He was wrong about Ulster and would have brought about a shooting war with the South. Powell opposed the principle that the NI remained in the UK only by consent of the majority of the people of NI. His view was that the UK should retain NI even if a majority of people wanted a United Ireland.

He was wrong about America and would have undermined the UK in the Cold War.

As his boss Peter Thorneycroft who resigned with him, later admitted, Powell was even wrong in timing to resign over public spending.

I think his timing was way off and he missed out a few things but if things carry on as they are, the whip will indeed be held by someone against the native populace. Including black people who were born here.
Powell's own political opinions were a tortuous mix of inconsistencies which he regarded as logic.

At various times he denied he was racist; challenged his questioners to define racism; and alternativelyargued that differentiation by race was natural.

If you read what he called the Birmingham Speech including the passages that are not frequently quoted, it is clear that he was racist by any reasonable definition of the term.

The point is that, it is what contemporaries also thought. William Rees-Mogg, editor of The Times, called him out on the issue of racism, the day after the speech was given.

The definition of racism is itself torturous. To some it means wishing someone harm on account of his race. To some it means observing negative characteristics of some races. To some it means observing that races have any distinct characteristics. To some it means observing that races exist at all. Silicon Valley, where Asians and Jews are massively overrepresented, is racist and the problem is whites because they are somewhat less underrepresented than blacks. The NBA, which is 74.4% black, is not racist.

The charge of racism is so powerful that it demands some response yet it is almost impossible to know what the charge actually means in enough detail to factually rebut it.
Original post by Observatory
The definition of racism is itself torturous. To some it means wishing someone harm on account of his race. To some it means observing negative characteristics of some races. To some it means observing that races have any distinct characteristics. To some it means observing that races exist at all. Silicon Valley, where Asians and Jews are massively overrepresented, is racist and the problem is whites because they are somewhat less underrepresented than blacks. The NBA, which is 74.4% black, is not racist.

The charge of racism is so powerful that it demands some response yet it is almost impossible to know what the charge actually means in enough detail to factually rebut it.

There are much more challenged and nuanced situations than Powell. Powell wished to ground public policy decisions explicitly on the basis of race. That is why whatever reasonable definition of racism one adopts, Powell meets it.
There are much more challenged and nuanced situations than Powell. Powell wished to ground public policy decisions explicitly on the basis of race. That is why whatever reasonable definition of racism one adopts, Powell meets it.

So do supporters of affirmative action, so does the ANC, so does Malaysia. Racism is a situational accusation that does not make any sense outside the context of a specific ideological movement. The point is not that Powell is not a racist; the point is he responded inconsistently to questioning on this point because he was responding to different perceptions of what the accusation means. He did that because it doesn't have a clear meaning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending