k-olivia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently working on my second composition which is a baroque piece. The problem I have is i don't know what to do. I have a horrible teacher so i can't seek help from her and i don't know a lot about the baroque period... Music has always been a hard subject for me . If i use the chord CEG does the whole melodic bar need to only use these notes. How complex should my chords be? any advice would be helpful at this stage. I really don't know what to do.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it’s baroque then you might want to make your piece polyphonic/contrapuntal (several lines at once) so not many chords will be needed. Focus more on the melody line and changing and developing it throughout the piece i.e. adding ornaments/changing rhythms/playing it in a different key e.g. relative major/minor
For which instruments is your piece for?
k-olivia
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluemuffin)
If it’s baroque then you might want to make your piece polyphonic/contrapuntal (several lines at once) so not many chords will be needed. Focus more on the melody line and changing and developing it throughout the piece i.e. adding ornaments/changing rhythms/playing it in a different key e.g. relative major/minor
For which instruments is your piece for?
Harpsichord and Flute.
bluemuffin
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Grimey833)
Harpsichord and Flute.
Ok what part are you struggling with? Have you got a main melody line (subject)
k-olivia
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=bluemuffin;77221618]Ok what part are you struggling with? Have you got a main melody line (subject)[/QUOT

I haven't included a lot on the harpsichord's left hand and i'm wondering whether i should copy the same rhythm from the right hand but a bar later and I don't know if should I use the same notes.
Dr. Doc Thor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I would not aim with a specific genre in mind as your opinions might change half way through. I suggest that you first start with a melody line with a flute and subsequetly harmonize it with chords in the harpsichord(which can later be developed into a counter melody etc.). Maybe you could have a chord progression in C major. Avoid trying to do anything too complicated as it will be a lot of hard work and very difficult. Keep it simple!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads