The Student Room Group

Alone with depression?

First of all I don't want to say I have depression because I have not been diagnosed.
I told my mom a few weeks ago that I was sad and she saw me crying for days non stop. The thing is that I told her if I should go to the doctor because I had been feeling that way for a while and I have responsabilities to do, but she said that I'm just stressed. I'm not saying that I'm not, but it has been months now that I've been feeling sad or empty or both. I don't like it at all and when she told me she was tired of hearing me say how sad I felt broke my heart. I've never felt more alone.
What should I do?
Ok, firstly you are not alone. In fact, sadly, I am in the exact same position as you. I'm crying non stop, feel overwhelmed and anxious everyday with circumstances in sixth form, but feel it is more major anxiety with me than depression.
I would definitely see your doctor or college counseller ro see what exactly it is that's making you the way you feel. They won't prescribe you anti depressants unless theu think you need them - but my doctor gave me some general anti anxiety meds.
Your mum probably doesn't realise how badly it's affecting you, but I think you need to sit down and just have an honest discussion with her regarding your situation, that it's not just stress but something more you can't explain.
There are so many people I know going through the same thing so you're not alone xx
I hope things work out for you x
Original post by darkkk
First of all I don't want to say I have depression because I have not been diagnosed.
I told my mom a few weeks ago that I was sad and she saw me crying for days non stop. The thing is that I told her if I should go to the doctor because I had been feeling that way for a while and I have responsabilities to do, but she said that I'm just stressed. I'm not saying that I'm not, but it has been months now that I've been feeling sad or empty or both. I don't like it at all and when she told me she was tired of hearing me say how sad I felt broke my heart. I've never felt more alone.
What should I do?

get a friend...it's always hard I guess but you could try and I'm sure you will get atleast one friend you can Start by texting me if you want :smile: and I would say I'm sure you like something....do it all day keep yourself busy and I think you will recover

remember you can text me :smile:
I would second everything previously said - I feel exactly how you describe and I've been diagnosed with depression. Although services vary from area to area, I would recommend seeing your doctor to see how they can help you.

It must have been really difficult to have your mum respond like that - I know how hard it is to feel misunderstood by people close to you. Hopefully she'll understand that you aren't 'just stressed', but if not, try and find other people you trust to talk with (a close friend, boyfriend/girlfriend, teacher, school nurse, counsellor etc).

All the best for the future, and I hope things start to get better for you
My mum ie similar to that too,I have really bad sleeping problems that I told her about and she's like yeah you go to bed too late (I wish it was that simple) doctors should help as should any other relatives / friends
please go see a GP esp if it has been going on for a couple of months

Quick Reply

Latest