Turn on thread page Beta

How much should I have left over after rent? (London) watch

ReputationRep:
    I’m curious what London students typically have left over after paying rent and utilities? I’m an international student, so I’m limited to part time work. I won’t need public transport to get to work or school, so I’m just trying to budget for food and the basics.

I have savings to fall back on, but ideally I would only use that for emergencies and large, one off expenses. I’m curious how tightly one can live in London without feeling completely deprived.

ReputationRep:
    How can I answer your question if you don't give me any numbers?

ReputationRep:
    I’m not looking for a budget of my own, I just want to see what other people are living off of and what that affords them each month after rent is paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingeroot)
    I’m not looking for a budget of my own, I just want to see what other people are living off of and what that affords them each month after rent is paid.
    Well, that really depends on what you're spending and what cash you have, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does. Care to share your budget?

ReputationRep:
    student halls ranges from 130 to 280 pw - central london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingeroot)
    Yes it does. Care to share your budget?
    I have around £2k left after paying my rent of £710 a month. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    £2 and 31 pence. Enough for a KitKat and diet coke.

enjoy

ReputationRep:
    >imagine thinking you can live in London without being in debt

No, on a serious note, this question is impossible to know without your budget. You'd be better off asking for the weekly cost of living.

Mine are:
    - rent - £240 a week all in - room in a shared house in Zone 2 (incl. utilities)
    - food - anywhere from £10 to £40 a week depending on what I'm cooking
    - each journey on the bus costs £1.50, and on the Tube £2.40, if you have the student Oyster card
    - going out at night varies wildly. A few pints at a pub in Zone 1 will be £10-15 (£3-4 a pint). Clubbing can cost up to £70-80 a night (pres + getting there and back + entry + table/bottle/VIP if you're into that - which of course you should be as a rich international). Dinner at a mid-range restaurant chain (e.g. Zizzi's) will be £20/head on average for a 3-course meal
    - remaining costs are up to you. Home stuff like toilet paper and toothpaste can cost a few quid a week, even though they're less regular purchases

I wouldn't expect to save too much money up during uni. If you want to save up, work during the holidays (not Easter, that's revision time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)

No, on a serious note, this question is impossible to know without your budget. You'd be better off asking for the weekly cost of living.

Mine are:
    - rent - £240 a week all in - room in a shared house in Zone 2 (incl. utilities)
    - food - anywhere from £10 to £40 a week depending on what I'm cooking
    - each journey on the bus costs £1.50, and on the Tube £2.40, if you have the student Oyster card
    - going out at night varies wildly. A few pints at a pub in Zone 1 will be £10-15 (£3-4 a pint). Clubbing can cost up to £70-80 a night (pres + getting there and back + entry + table/bottle/VIP if you're into that - which of course you should be as a rich international). Dinner at a mid-range restaurant chain (e.g. Zizzi's) will be £20/head on average for a 3-course meal
    - remaining costs are up to you. Home stuff like toilet paper and toothpaste can cost a few quid a week, even though they're less regular purchases

I wouldn't expect to save too much money up during uni. If you want to save up, work during the holidays (not Easter, that's revision time)
    Thank you, that’s the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I’m self funded so unfortunately not a rich international. I have lots in savings but I’m trying to preserve it so I can renew my visa for a masters degree without stress. I have a general idea of what I’d earn off the bat in a minimum wage job, so seeing average weekly expenses is helpful as I choose accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    some of the internationals are rich af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny.snow)
    some of the internationals are rich af
    No, really? I would have never imagined

ReputationRep:
    No, really? I would have never imagined
    Why couldn't I be Chinese? :cry:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.