The Student Room Group

How much should I have left over after rent? (London)

I’m curious what London students typically have left over after paying rent and utilities? I’m an international student, so I’m limited to part time work. I won’t need public transport to get to work or school, so I’m just trying to budget for food and the basics.

I have savings to fall back on, but ideally I would only use that for emergencies and large, one off expenses. I’m curious how tightly one can live in London without feeling completely deprived.
How can I answer your question if you don't give me any numbers?
Reply 2
I’m not looking for a budget of my own, I just want to see what other people are living off of and what that affords them each month after rent is paid.
Original post by Gingeroot
I’m not looking for a budget of my own, I just want to see what other people are living off of and what that affords them each month after rent is paid.

Well, that really depends on what you're spending and what cash you have, doesn't it?
Reply 4
Yes it does. Care to share your budget?
student halls ranges from 130 to 280 pw - central london
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Gingeroot
Yes it does. Care to share your budget?

I have around £2k left after paying my rent of £710 a month. Hope that helps.
£2 and 31 pence. Enough for a KitKat and diet coke.

enjoy
Reply 8
Thank you, that’s the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I’m self funded so unfortunately not a rich international. I have lots in savings but I’m trying to preserve it so I can renew my visa for a masters degree without stress. I have a general idea of what I’d earn off the bat in a minimum wage job, so seeing average weekly expenses is helpful as I choose accomodation.
some of the internationals are rich af
Why couldn't I be Chinese? :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending