The Student Room Group

Work experience for Nursing degrees

Hi there :smile:

Prospective mature nursing student - aiming to apply for September 2019 entry and am currently researching each branch of nursing. I had studied English Literature at uni for a year before dropping out due to mental health issues so I have been quite drawn to Mental Health Nursing. However, I had initially started the English Literature degree as I had wanted to go onto working in education so I am also drawn to the Children's Nursing but understand that this is particularly competitive. I have no A Levels in science but will be studying an Access course in September. I also work as a Home Care Worker so have experience of caring for vulnerable adults, have signed up to volunteer with the Girl Guides and volunteering as a drop-in counsellor at a local charity for vulnerable children and adults.

Can anyone who is currently studying a nursing degree please give me some advice on how they managed to get onto their course with their experience etc for children's nursing and mental health nursing? Would my work experience stand me with a chance of getting on to the course or will I need to get more experience under my belt?

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by MoglieJ
Hi there :smile:

Prospective mature nursing student - aiming to apply for September 2019 entry and am currently researching each branch of nursing. I had studied English Literature at uni for a year before dropping out due to mental health issues so I have been quite drawn to Mental Health Nursing. However, I had initially started the English Literature degree as I had wanted to go onto working in education so I am also drawn to the Children's Nursing but understand that this is particularly competitive. I have no A Levels in science but will be studying an Access course in September. I also work as a Home Care Worker so have experience of caring for vulnerable adults, have signed up to volunteer with the Girl Guides and volunteering as a drop-in counsellor at a local charity for vulnerable children and adults.

Can anyone who is currently studying a nursing degree please give me some advice on how they managed to get onto their course with their experience etc for children's nursing and mental health nursing? Would my work experience stand me with a chance of getting on to the course or will I need to get more experience under my belt?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hi, your experience sounds good. I’m a mature adult nursing student & had experience as a volunteer in ED and as a care assistant in a care home & a hospital (I also talked about my experience from previous non-healthcare related jobs too).
It’s also about how you talk about your experiences (not just healthcare related or voluntary) in your application & at interview, so take advantage of any help from your college when you do your access course for ucas & your personal statement.
You might find it useful visiting an open day at the universities you’re interested in applying too & also researching both children’s & mental health nursing to get a better idea of which branch you want to pursue.
Feel free to ask more questions.if you have them & I’ll try to help.

Quick Reply

Latest