Turn on thread page Beta

Is 2 and a half hours a day every day (so 17 hours a week) enough for A level? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not on an A Level course yet, Im starting some GCSE courses as a mature learner in September. I want to prepare myself for the amount of work A Level will require.

As it stands, Im currently revising 2 hours a day every day of the week (even weekends) for my GCSE topics.

Once I have completed GCSEs, Im moving on to A level to do: chemistry, biology and psychology. I know that chemistry is known for being really difficult, but would 17 hours a week be enough for those 3 topics?

I can up the hours studied. I want to prepare myself so I know when to start getting used to a change in my schedule.

ReputationRep:
    yes - up until march ramp it up slightly and keep doing so until exams.

best to be slow and consistent imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny.snow)
    yes - up until march ramp it up slightly and keep doing so until exams.

best to be slow and consistent imo
    Totally agree! Glad I've got the right idea. Should work out perfectly then, especially as I wont have to ramp it up too much from what Im already doing!

ReputationRep:
    This thread is triggering me. :banghead:
    The title says 2 and a half hours everyday but 2.5\times7\neq17.

But now you're saying 2 hours a day. 2\times7\neq17

Must be 2.5 hours for 6 days and 2 hours for one day a week.

ReputationRep:
    That's the wrong question to be asking.

You should be asking "what's the most effective way to study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A-levels that will increase the chances of me achieving the top grades (a/A*)?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantIPods)
    This thread is triggering me. :banghead:
    The title says 2 and a half hours everyday but 2.5\times7\neq17.

But now you're saying 2 hours a day. 2\times7\neq17

Must be 2.5 hours for 6 days and 2 hours for one day a week.
    ****! I did calculate that correctly but just put 17 hours in the thread title lol

ReputationRep:
    I do like 3-4 hours a day 5 days a week so thats about 15-20 which is basically means your right in the middle of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knaawledge)
    That's the wrong question to be asking.

You should be asking "what's the most effective way to study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology A-levels that will increase the chances of me achieving the top grades (a/A*)?".
    Should probably have thought the title through a bit more. Yeah, thats kind of what Im aiming for.

At present Im making use of transcribing the revision books and spaced repetition with flash cards (anki too). Not to mention trying to apply what Ive learnt in every day situations whenever possible.

Any further tips on this? At the moment it seems to be working fairly well for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACollins9)
    Im not on an A Level course yet, Im starting some GCSE courses as a mature learner in September. I want to prepare myself for the amount of work A Level will require.

As it stands, Im currently revising 2 hours a day every day of the week (even weekends) for my GCSE topics.

Once I have completed GCSEs, Im moving on to A level to do: chemistry, biology and psychology. I know that chemistry is known for being really difficult, but would 17 hours a week be enough for those 3 topics?

I can up the hours studied. I want to prepare myself so I know when to start getting used to a change in my schedule.
    I want to do the same as well when I start A-Levels, but 2 hours a day for GCSE's is quite low I think? I do about 4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends because exams are in less than a month. But it's different for everyone and I know myself I am not over working myself. Good Luck at GCSE's!

ReputationRep:

I'm also in Year 11 and right now I am aiming for 5 hours per school day and 7 hours on the weekend. A Levels are much harder and they recommend that you do 5 hours per subject peer week, which will probably be 15 hours for you. This only includes homework, though. I'm doing 4 A Levels so I have to do 20 hours of lessons and 20 hours of homework a week, so it'll basically be 8 hours a day, with the weekends free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadilySalted)
    I want to do the same as well when I start A-Levels, but 2 hours a day for GCSE's is quite low I think? I do about 4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends because exams are in less than a month. But it's different for everyone and I know myself I am not over working myself. Good Luck at GCSE's!
    Should probably clarify! Yeah would be pretty low although Im studying 3 subjects this year and another 3 next year (job commitments make doing them all at once difficult )

ReputationRep:
    Should probably clarify! Yeah would be pretty low although Im studying 3 subjects this year and another 3 next year (job commitments make doing them all at once difficult )
    Are you in year 10? Sorry I'm really confused?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in year 10? Sorry I'm really confused?
    Nah, Im an mature student. Just turned 21, crashed out of school without my GCSEs due to a string of illness and life upheaval lol. I figured now was a good time in my life to sort my education out.

Im in a much better place and really excited to finally move forward!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Im an mature student. Just turned 21, crashed out of school without my GCSEs due to a string of illness and life upheaval lol. I figured now was a good time in my life to sort my education out.

Im in a much better place and really excited to finally move forward!
    Oh right I get it. Respect for that bro, I'm glad you're turning your life around, i'm telling you that you won't regret what you are about to do. Much respect for you! Im glad you're in a better place and praying you smash those exams and be successful in life.

It's sick seeing people about to change their lives, do keep in contact and how you are getting on with everything!

ReputationRep:
    Should probably have thought the title through a bit more. Yeah, thats kind of what Im aiming for.

At present Im making use of transcribing the revision books and spaced repetition with flash cards (anki too). Not to mention trying to apply what Ive learnt in every day situations whenever possible.

Any further tips on this? At the moment it seems to be working fairly well for me.
    How old are you?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Oh right I get it. Respect for that bro, I'm glad you're turning your life around, i'm telling you that you won't regret what you are about to do. Much respect for you! Im glad you're in a better place and praying you smash those exams and be successful in life.

It's sick seeing people about to change their lives, do keep in contact and how you are getting on with everything!
    Thanks a lot, man! Super pumped for it all. It's been a difficult journey just to get this far tbh. School robbed me of my confidence to learn so its taken ages to embrace failure and use it as a tool to continually improve my learning. Its opened up a new world to me that Im really excited to explore!

I'l keep you posted with the goings on over the next few months

(Original post by gerib17)
    How old are you?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.