The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE revision

I really don't know how I should be revising for my aqa english lit exams in june, especially the 3 books.

I scraped a 7 in my mock but I'm hoping to get an 8. Mr Bruff says to find quotes that can apply to lots of themes/characters but I can't find any that work for more than one.

Anyone got any tips I'm really stuck and any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by Admera
I really don't know how I should be revising for my aqa english lit exams in june, especially the 3 books.

I scraped a 7 in my mock but I'm hoping to get an 8. Mr Bruff says to find quotes that can apply to lots of themes/characters but I can't find any that work for more than one.

Anyone got any tips I'm really stuck and any help would be much appreciated.

What set text r u doing??
Go on mr Bruff analysis of characters in what ever books your doing and he does ful videos on each character! Helps a lot
Reply 3
Original post by alicewarren
What set text r u doing??

I'm doing:

Macbeth
An Inspector Calls
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Power and Conflict poems
Reply 4
Original post by Xxhansahhh
Go on mr Bruff analysis of characters in what ever books your doing and he does ful videos on each character! Helps a lot

Okay what should I do to remember the points he makes?
Yeah make notes on a paper and make sure it’s bright and clear and put it where you can see it and read it everyday so it sticks in your brain. I stuck em on my wall 😬😂
Reply 6
Original post by Xxhansahhh
Yeah make notes on a paper and make sure it’s bright and clear and put it where you can see it and read it everyday so it sticks in your brain. I stuck em on my wall 😬😂

Okay thank you I will do that tomorrow 😊
make a set of quotes for key themes and characters. structure this in an "essay plan" format with points referring to the quotes and a short explanation. This will make it easier for you to adapt these points for the question you receive in the exam because you would have already made a form of essay plan.
hope this makes sense. It worked well for me last year
Reply 8
Original post by blackvoid17
make a set of quotes for key themes and characters. structure this in an "essay plan" format with points referring to the quotes and a short explanation. This will make it easier for you to adapt these points for the question you receive in the exam because you would have already made a form of essay plan.
hope this makes sense. It worked well for me last year

Okay sounds good I will try this. How many quotes did you do for each character/theme and what did you do to remember them?
Do essay plans! Especially for poetry but works for the other texts too. You can think of good points before the exam so you have more time to develop and write during the exam, you also feel more prepared which makes me less stressed during the exam itself so I do better overall. You might not be able to use them all exactly bc of sources and the q theme, but they’re still useful. Like my Mock was on ambition in Macbeth and I used a load of things from my plans based on guilt and gender - they all interlink one way or another. Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Original post by milliewastestime
Do essay plans! Especially for poetry but works for the other texts too. You can think of good points before the exam so you have more time to develop and write during the exam, you also feel more prepared which makes me less stressed during the exam itself so I do better overall. You might not be able to use them all exactly bc of sources and the q theme, but they’re still useful. Like my Mock was on ambition in Macbeth and I used a load of things from my plans based on guilt and gender - they all interlink one way or another. Hope this helps!

Okay thats a good idea, do you do the same essay plan for a question more than once or should I make like flashcards to help me remember the points and quotes I should use? Mine was on ambition too I mostly wrote about Lady Macbeth. Thanks for the help :smile:
Learn the contexts of all the different poems, Macbeth and An Inspector Calls, and then learn 2-3 quotes for each point, for example women were often meant to be childish and not able to gain a proper education, a quote for that being that Sheila calls Mrs. Birling "Mummy". For top marks, try to use small phrases or single words for your quotes, and make sure you integrate then into the sentences for a more fluid read. For the next few days until your exams are over, try to say as many quotes as you can whilst talking normally, it can be quite hilarious, and should help you to remember things easier.
Please check out this GCSE English lit method (Free revision guide) it's working for me!
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5317336
Reply 13
Original post by gingerbread10000
Learn the contexts of all the different poems, Macbeth and An Inspector Calls, and then learn 2-3 quotes for each point, for example women were often meant to be childish and not able to gain a proper education, a quote for that being that Sheila calls Mrs. Birling "Mummy". For top marks, try to use small phrases or single words for your quotes, and make sure you integrate then into the sentences for a more fluid read. For the next few days until your exams are over, try to say as many quotes as you can whilst talking normally, it can be quite hilarious, and should help you to remember things easier.

Okay great thank you :smile:
Original post by Admera
Okay thats a good idea, do you do the same essay plan for a question more than once or should I make like flashcards to help me remember the points and quotes I should use? Mine was on ambition too I mostly wrote about Lady Macbeth. Thanks for the help :smile:

I don’t personally but that’s just me, might do a week before the exam I’ll see what else I need to do. It probably is a good idea to have some flash cards and write the theme at the top and then a bit of info. So put title of ambition. Then 1. Jealous ambition, add a quote 2. Hiding ambition/guilty ambition, quote - do about 4 and review them. You don’t have to do that but if that’s what helps you remember it then definitely do it!
Hiya,

I got a 9 in English Literature and these are the key character quotes I used I hope this is helpful :smile:
Original post by Admera
Okay sounds good I will try this. How many quotes did you do for each character/theme and what did you do to remember them?

I honestly don't remember but I'd say do at least 6 for each maybe - 2 for each point you make in an essay. As for memorising them, I would regularly read over them, cover them up and try to recite them. Not gonna lie the memorising part the worst but remember you're still allowed to paraphrase in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending