The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Keep getting low grades in second year and I don’t know why

So my first year, I got 60.8% which is a very low 2.1, but got some good grades last year. Now I’m in my second year as a psychology student I just keep getting rubbish grades. I got a low third, High 2.2 low 2.2 and a low 2.1. I didn’t even get a third last year so I’m so annoyed!! Any way I’m literally so upset, I just don’t have the motivation anymore because I feel like I’m not smart enough for uni... I haven’t even improved, I seem to gradually get worse and worse. Is it possible for me to get a high 2:2 with the grades I’m currently getting? I know that If I get a high 2.2 this year it’ll be easier for me to scrape a low 2.1 overall. I know I’m smart enough but my essay and critical evaluation is shocking no matter how hard I try 😖 I’m also a single mother to a 3 year old and have to travel a good hour to uni so unfortunately I don’t have all the time in the world either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Talk to your tutor about your work and see your lecturers with past work. I've noticed and had confirmed that's there's also a little trick (i'm also school of social sciences 2nd year who travels an hour for uni- not a parent though and I can understand why that takes a lot of your attention) with regards to your citations and references. People seem to forget that this is a massive part of your work and it's really easy to move your work into a first just by fixing your references. So a little tip is- Do not touch a textbook, I mean at all. Using a textbook pretty much automatically places you into a 2:1. Opt for a wide range of journal articles and original texts and only if necessary use 10% websites and news outlets for things like figures or quotes. When citing work, only cite the same source a maximum of two times, otherwise it appears that you aren't studying a variety of sources and are in a sense copying a source. Also, try and use words from the question as much as possible in your work as this will keep you on track with your discussion. When writing your work try and make it as analytical as possible- indeed, the sky is blue. We know that because the sky is blue. Furthermore, the grass is green, we know that because the grass is green- if you catch my drift- and applying the words from the question in your work will help to frame your arguments, keep the discussion flowing, and keep the work analytical.

You are smart, you wouldn't be in university if you weren't (and that's not to say people who choose not to study higher education aren't smart), it's just perhaps the way you are approaching your work might need a few tweaks.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending