Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm interested in the relationship between criminology and psychology, for example I love watching documentaries or TV series and trying to figure things out before other people do.

I have to apply for uni this year, so I was wondering what I should do. Here are my options..

1) Psychology -
Strengths: provides more options I've heard e.g. clinical, forensic, research, marketing, HR. I could also pick modules related to criminology and forensic psychology, both topics I'm interested in.

Weaknesses: it focuses more heavily on psychology, and not as much on criminology as I probably would like it to.

2) Psychology and Criminology (BPS Accredited) -
Strengths: a mixture of both subjects, being accredited would allow me to go into forensic psychology (a potential career I'm interested in).

Weaknesses: is a joint degree less valued than just a single degree? Will it have less employment prospects?

I've said that I'm potentially interested in becoming a forensic psychologist - this isn't 100% because I don't really know what other careers are available for both psychology and criminology.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
I'm interested in the relationship between criminology and psychology, for example I love watching documentaries or TV series and trying to figure things out before other people do.

I have to apply for uni this year, so I was wondering what I should do. Here are my options..

1) Psychology -
Strengths: provides more options I've heard e.g. clinical, forensic, research, marketing, HR. I could also pick modules related to criminology and forensic psychology, both topics I'm interested in.

Weaknesses: it focuses more heavily on psychology, and not as much on criminology as I probably would like it to.

2) Psychology and Criminology (BPS Accredited) -
Strengths: a mixture of both subjects, being accredited would allow me to go into forensic psychology (a potential career I'm interested in).

Weaknesses: is a joint degree less valued than just a single degree? Will it have less employment prospects?

I've said that I'm potentially interested in becoming a forensic psychologist - this isn't 100% because I don't really know what other careers are available for both psychology and criminology.
Doing joint degrees is no less valued by employers. If it's at a similar quality university I'd go for the combination degree as you're obviously more interested in it, and you get exposure to more disciplines by doing criminology (e.g. sociology, philosophy of punishment, law, etc.).

The only downside is that you've picked two of the most popular degrees which are generally a bit less valued....
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
Doing joint degrees is no less valued by employers. If it's at a similar quality university I'd go for the combination degree as you're obviously more interested in it, and you get exposure to more disciplines by doing criminology (e.g. sociology, philosophy of punishment, law, etc.).

The only downside is that you've picked two of the most popular degrees which are generally a bit less valued....
Thanks.. I love both subjects, it kind of annoys me that these degrees are popular because, without being arrogant, I don't think some of the people who do these degrees are as passionate as I am. I feel like I've finally found my purpose.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think it really matters which one you pick for your undergraduate degree as you'll end up doing a Masters anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads