The Student Room Group

Help me to understand the force of 'Thrust'

I was introduced to 'Thrust' as a pushing force, but I am struggling to understand how a push is formed in this problem. Please see pic attached above or below.

If you imagine trailer attached to a car by a tow-bar, I can only visualise the Car driving and then pulling the trailer in the rightward direction. Which is not a push.

If someone could explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate

Original post by MathQS
I was introduced to 'Thrust' as a pushing force, but I am struggling to understand how a push is formed in this problem. Please see pic attached above or below.

If you imagine trailer attached to a car by a tow-bar, I can only visualise the Car driving and then pulling the trailer in the rightward direction. Which is not a push.

If someone could explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate

Newton's Third Law that every action there is an equal and opposite reaction?
It doesn't really matter if it is "push" or "pull". Those are just semantics. Look at the direction in which the force is acting, that is more important. In more detailed problems, the location of where the force is acting also matters... though if I remember correct most GCSE problems use rigid bodies, aka no deformations, aka it doesn't matter where the force is acting on the body as it will respond the same way.
Did someone say... Thrust?

┬┴┬┴┤ ͜ʖ ͡°) ├┬┴┬┴
Reply 4
I need answers that are NOT 1 sentence long and that don't assume the diagram has been already drawn for you...
Original post by MathQS
I need answers that are NOT 1 sentence long and that don't assume the diagram has been already drawn for you...

If you're going to take that attitude, then I can't be arsed helping you.
Reply 6
@RDKGames
Reply 7
@prasiortle
Reply 8
Original post by VeniViciVidi
If you're going to take that attitude, then I can't be arsed helping you.

You shouldn't be trying to help, if all you are going to do is give half arsed responses.

Anyways doors that way ----->
Lots of websites for that, if you know what I mean
Original post by MathQS

If the trailer is decelerating, then the car / tow bar is exerting a force opposite to its direction of motion on it. What force will the trailer exert on the car / tow bar? (Hint: Newton's third law)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MathQS
You shouldn't be trying to help, if all you are going to do is give half arsed responses.

Anyways doors that way ----->

You should quit the education. What’s the point of getting qualifications if no one is going to like you enough to hire you?

Quick Reply

Latest