The Student Room Group

Are the people in U.K. nice ?

Hi , I am 17 , female , from Singapore , planning to go UK unis in 2 years time . Frankly speaking , I have never been to U.K. and was pretty worried about the people there , culture , social life etc. Will there be any racial discrimination ? I am asian decent . Are the people there mean ? In Singapore , I have encounter some boys and girls who are pretty mean and nasty . They pulled pranks on others or simply don’t like each other . Also to add on , I do kind of look young .... most people thought I am 12 to 14 years old and have to admit that I am a bit childish .... in terms of clothes . I do shop in child section but it was because it fits me . I like hello kitty , pink colour .... you know those things that girls tend to like . So that having said , I worried that people might tease me . But I am nice . I do have a nice personality . I am friendly and willing to be open-minded about others .
Most are, some aren't.
Original post by WhiteBunny
Hi , I am 17 , female , from Singapore , planning to go UK unis in 2 years time . Frankly speaking , I have never been to U.K. and was pretty worried about the people there , culture , social life etc. Will there be any racial discrimination ? I am asian decent . Are the people there mean ? In Singapore , I have encounter some boys and girls who are pretty mean and nasty . They pulled pranks on others or simply don’t like each other . Also to add on , I do kind of look young .... most people thought I am 12 to 14 years old and have to admit that I am a bit childish .... in terms of clothes . I do shop in child section but it was because it fits me . I like hello kitty , pink colour .... you know those things that girls tend to like . So that having said , I worried that people might tease me . But I am nice . I do have a nice personality . I am friendly and willing to be open-minded about others .

Like anywhere there are horrible people. TBh the people of the UK are probably going to be less racist than Singapore. We are a very much ethnically diverse population - especially in London and you should have a great time.

I would try to integrate and not spend all your time with fellow Singaporeans. People won't tease you for wearing Hello Kitty, but it might be an idea to grow up a little bit.
Original post by WhiteBunny

I think the UK is pretty much the same as anywhere, some people are really nice and some aren't so kind. I'm from the UK and have been bullied and had some not-so-nice experiences with some people, but at the same time, some people are absolutely lovely and will make you really happy. Overall, I wouldn't worry because the amount of happiness you'll gain from exploring a new place will out-weigh any negativity you may come across. :smile: hope this helps XX
Most aren’t but a lot are.
Yes
Like everywhere there will be nice and mean people. The think is you need to focus on the positive people, and ignore the people who are being rude towards you. I will warn you that the British are quite reserved compared to other cultures, but its rarely anything personal so don’t take it as them not liking you.
I think most British people are quite accepting of other cultures (we have to be) and it makes you more interesting. Most people will be nice but how genuine this is idk...
Yo, as an Sg born person who's lived in the UK for 18 years, I can say that in the UK you'll be familiar with a lot of things back home (like driving on the left and zebra crossings with beacons, both brought to sg during the colonial era). As for the people, well, brits from outside big cities tend to be more welcoming imo, there's a chance someone in a big UK city will not understand you but don't feel offended by that :smile:
You're from Singapore, one of the coolest places in the world. I'm from Poland and I've studied in the UK and everyone has been really nice to me, especially in London. I have friends from Singapore as well.

There is a general PC culture in the UK so it's highly unlikely that you'll experience anything unkind.

Some places and indeed people in the UK can be quite 'rough' because of historical class divide, much more stratified than in places like Germany, Ireland, Scandinavia, Benelux or France.

Quick Reply