The Student Room Group

Big 4 advisory, consultancy

In the big 4 how many different lines are there within advisory and what are the different starting graduate salaries in London. Also for consultancy what type is this and what is the graduate starting salary in London.
How hard are these to get into as a graduate compared to investment banking?
Reply 1
So there are more roles and opportunities available in the Big 4, IB is harder to get into (I think) as there is a higher application - place ratio. Loads of different lines in the Big 4 - audit, assurance, tax, tech, legal, compliance, climate, sustainability. Within advisory you’d just have the consultancy, assurance etc. Starting salary for consultants depends at Big four. I think it may be 25-35+ and IB competitiveness is can go up to 80-1 for spring weeks at a big bank not sure about smaller banks or graduate schemes.
You’ve asked this 50 times
Hi, if you go onto any of the Big 4 Accounting firms websites you will see the different streams in their consulting depts i.e. technology, people, finance, strategy, etc. You can also do work in the other depts other than audit / consulting in the big 4 such as: Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Finance, Tax, Risk Assurance, Restructuring/Insolvency. There are a lot of different depts in the big 4, I trained with PwC and had no idea of how many different teams doing totally different types of work before I got in there and started working.

It will be easier to get into these roles than IB, but it will still be very competitive.
Just google salary guides 2018, and you will get starting salaries for consultants.

It's difficult to know what each department does from looking at prospectus' and company websites, the big 4 will make it sound as glamourous as they can, where in reality you might be messing around in excel and powerpoint for hours on end. My advice would be to try to ask people who work in the big 4 already what the different departments are like, what their fav and least fav are, who does the most interesting/boring work, longest hours etc. Try and go to some open days if you can, I found them all to be pretty similar, although some of my friends will say they think one is better than the other. Having the big 4 on your CV really will get you places, it will put your CV ahead of your peers and will get you jobs in pretty much any country in the world. I didn't like my 3 years there at all, because of the work and the people, but 8 years later I have to admit it was worthwhile doing it.

Good Luck! Hope you don't get brainwashed by the big 4!
Paul

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending