Changing exam boards from CCEA at AS to another at A2?

Watch this thread
AMP2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
There is a possibility that I will have to move to England next year for upper sixth. Would it be possible to sit my A2 exams as normal with a different exam board rather than additionally having to resit my AS modules? BTW I am sitting my AS modules with CCEA and I presume no English school would use this as it is the Northern Irish board.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AMP2000)
There is a possibility that I will have to move to England next year for upper sixth. Would it be possible to sit my A2 exams as normal with a different exam board rather than additionally having to resit my AS modules? BTW I am sitting my AS modules with CCEA and I presume no English school would use this as it is the Northern Irish board.
Have you actually taken (or are about to take) AS modules? A Levels in the UK are now examined at the end of two years, so although there are still AS exams, any UK student who takes them will not be able to count them as part of their final grade, so they are only useful as progress checks. If you are moving to the UK to take your final exams in summer 2019, there will be no way to use AS credit in any case.

It is not possible to transfer AS credit from an old style course where they do count to the new courses where they don't - see the document on this page; https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...ments-20182019
AMP2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Pangol)
Have you actually taken (or are about to take) AS modules? A Levels in the UK are now examined at the end of two years, so although there are still AS exams, any UK student who takes them will not be able to count them as part of their final grade, so they are only useful as progress checks. If you are moving to the UK to take your final exams in summer 2019, there will be no way to use AS credit in any case.

It is not possible to transfer AS credit from an old style course where they do count to the new courses where they don't - see the document on this page; https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/...ments-20182019
I will be taking my AS modules in May 2018, does this mean AS grades don't count as a standalone qualification?
Pangol
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I will be taking my AS modules in May 2018, does this mean AS grades don't count as a standalone qualification?
I don't know anything about CCEA, so I can't be sure. But for UK exam boards, there are no more modules, only entire AS and A Level exams. Anyone who takes AS exams can get a standalone AS qualification, but they cannot be used as part of the entire A Level - you have to do exams for them at the end of the two years.

So yes, the AS does count as a standalone qualification, but a pointless one if you are planning to do the entire course in that subject.
Pangol
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Looking at this page (http://ccea.org.uk/qualifications/revision/level), it does seem that CCEA are going to continue to use the old system - AS exams that count as part of the full A Level, etc. Unfotunately, this does mean that CCEA AS results cannot be transferred as credit if you are going to take an AQA, Edexcel, OCR, etc. exam. You have to do all of the exams at the end of the course.

And I should have said "England and Wales" where I have been saying "UK" - sorry! NI and Scoltland still have their own systems (which is exactly what your problem is...).
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
If you do move, then I would suggest you join year 12. As pointed out exams are linear for virtually everything and there is no option to mix two exam boards. there is also no option to sit CCEA in England as they are no longer offered here. You can contact them to confirm it.

Find the best school you can and you should already be applying now.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pangol)
Looking at this page (http://ccea.org.uk/qualifications/revision/level), it does seem that CCEA are going to continue to use the old system - AS exams that count as part of the full A Level, etc. Unfotunately, this does mean that CCEA AS results cannot be transferred as credit if you are going to take an AQA, Edexcel, OCR, etc. exam. You have to do all of the exams at the end of the course.

And I should have said "England and Wales" where I have been saying "UK" - sorry! NI and Scoltland still have their own systems (which is exactly what your problem is...).
Actually you should be saying "England" as Wales also has their own A level system where WJEC AS result does count towards the full A level.
Pangol
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
Actually you should be saying "England" as Wales also has their own A level system where WJEC AS result does count towards the full A level.
Well, you live and learn! Not something that will help the OP, though, if they are moving to England.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (153)
41.13%
The paper was reasonable (167)
44.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (35)
9.41%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
4.57%

Watched Threads