Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have to pick one elective module for each semester and so far only one from each semester really appeal to me thus far (Consumer and Marketing Law and Principles of Personal Property).

I was thinking of taking a non-law module but as there is such a breadth of courses let alone the number of modules in each, I am not sure how to narrow it all down or where to specifically look.

Law and economics from the business school looks good but I am not sure it is wise taking a level 3 business module when all the law modules I ave done so far are level 1 although the law electives are also level three.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
Bump
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you really want to take consumer and marketing law? Sounds dull and unless you know the module leader gives out easy grades, I would hardly say it is worth the risk. Just because something sounds easy prima facie does not mean it will be; the person who leads the module will be a serious academic who will expose you to serious academic arguments about consumer marketing law.

Principles of personal property. Tort of conversion? Tracing and equity's darling? Seem rather basic to me, but again vague. You need to have a look at what these modules actually involve, preferably find last year's past paper.

As for the rest, doubt we can advise without knowing what modules you actually have available. I don't think there is any reason to not take a business module. But if you're going to "doss it up" for easy grades, make sure the module you're taking will actually give you easy grades.
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Do you really want to take consumer and marketing law? Sounds dull and unless you know the module leader gives out easy grades, I would hardly say it is worth the risk. Just because something sounds easy prima facie does not mean it will be; the person who leads the module will be a serious academic who will expose you to serious academic arguments about consumer marketing law.

Principles of personal property. Tort of conversion? Tracing and equity's darling? Seem rather basic to me, but again vague. You need to have a look at what these modules actually involve, preferably find last year's past paper.

As for the rest, doubt we can advise without knowing what modules you actually have available. I don't think there is any reason to not take a business module. But if you're going to "doss it up" for easy grades, make sure the module you're taking will actually give you easy grades.
I have read through the module guides a few times, the aforementioned are the only two that really appeal to me on a practical level. A few others look like they could be good but I don't necessarily want to pursue them in my career ie. medical, criminal process.

The business module 'Law and Economics' looks pretty good but non-law modules then require a 5 credit law independent research essay to make up the credits and apparently it takes a lot more time than the 5 credits are worth according to people in the years above.

There is a 'Introduction to Law and Economics' as a law module (thus meeting the credit requirements), but it looks like a more sociological take with with 'Wealth Maximisation as an Ethical Value' and 'The Importance of Social Norms.and Endowment Effect and other Challenges from Behavioural Psychology' whereas the business module seemed to focus on the economic ramifications in contract, tort, commercial and criminal law.

I can take any non-law module 'up to level 3' which covers a lot of modules and here are the law choices:

Autumn Semester
Advanced Tort
Classical Legal Theory
Consumer and Marketing Law
Employment Law
Family Law
Foundations of International Criminal Law
Foundations of Public International Law
International Human Rights Law
Legal Issues in Health Care
UK Human Rights Law

Spring Semester
Child Law
Criminal Justice and the Penal System A: From Suspect to Trial
EU Employment Law
European Convention on Human Rights
International Wildlife Law
Introduction to Law and Economics Cap of 60
Law and Development: Approaches, Actors and Issues
Principles of Personal Property
The Law of Unjust Enrichment

Available in both semesters
Legal Research Project A (5 credits)
Legal Research Project B (10 credits)
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Won't lie, they all sound ****.

Your other thread you talk about commercial work; I don't think modules will affect that all too much. You might learn about TUPE and things like that in EU Employment, but your practical knowledge is not going to be practice-ready. I would choose topics you find interesting. As said, they all sound ****. Unjust Enrichment is an interesting academic area, wildlife sounds random which makes it more interesting. ECHR, criminal and theory. Well, they're going to be quite basic.

Given you're at Notts, I would lean towards PIL subjects. International criminal would be great (did a module for my master's on extradition, fairly interesting and given you're at Notts you'll likely do some ICJ/ICC). Wouldn't touch health care with a bargepole.
Chichaldo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Won't lie, they all sound ****.

Your other thread you talk about commercial work; I don't think modules will affect that all too much. You might learn about TUPE and things like that in EU Employment, but your practical knowledge is not going to be practice-ready. I would choose topics you find interesting. As said, they all sound ****. Unjust Enrichment is an interesting academic area, wildlife sounds random which makes it more interesting. ECHR, criminal and theory. Well, they're going to be quite basic.

Given you're at Notts, I would lean towards PIL subjects. International criminal would be great (did a module for my master's on extradition, fairly interesting and given you're at Notts you'll likely do some ICJ/ICC). Wouldn't touch health care with a bargepole.
Because you personally don't find health care interesting or?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chichaldo)
Because you personally don't find health care interesting or?
Well, yes and it is a half module at undergrad, and is going to be basic.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye, options seem to be a bit lacklustre.

Unjust ties in well with equity, as well as being generally academically interesting, so I would advise taking that. A lot of law students won't have taken any modules in it, so you will be at an advantage. (Was hoping to do it at master's, to correct for never having done it, but little ****ers didn't run it this year.)
Equitable
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your first semester is actually not too bad in terms of choice, the second one however, is very odd. Sorry if I am mistaken but family law and child law are literally the same thing, you could give yourself an advantage by picking both - providing the content you cover in family in S1 is related to child law it could mean you have a good foundation going into S2.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (112)
40.58%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
10.51%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.61%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (63)
22.83%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed