Username6000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(c) The aorta has many elastic fibres in its wall. An arteriole has many muscle fibres in its wall.
(i) Explain the importance of elastic fibres in the wall of the aorta.
JeromeRome
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Due to the high pressure of the blood that's being put out by the heart, the aorta needs to be very elastic so it won't burst.
The elastic fibers provide exactly that, elasticity,meaning it will go back into it's original form, and resistance.
You can imagine a balloon. Imagine you blow air in and out, the balloon will go back to it's original form everytime you take a break. And it also won't burst.
FailingBadly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm just doing this from the top of my head but its basically elastic because the blood in the aorta is being pumped from the heart at very high pressures and the elastic fibres can contract to maintain this pressure. They can also stretch so that the aorta doesn't rupture because of this high pressure ( i dont know how many marks the question is so im not sure how much detail you need but this is basically the gist)
Username6000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads