tril3zus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
im doing a new specification for maths so theres no past papers for it only specimen and practise papers
I am doing OCR MEI Maths

I have completed all practise and specimen papers and all possible questions on every website (khan academy, mathsgenie etc) and when it comes to the exam, the questions are so different.

I don't know how to revise anymore and have just accepted the fact im going to fail
psycholeo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Although no past papers exist, somewhere or another on the internet there's unofficial answers for last year's papers (which were also new specification). Honestly, the questions aren't different, in fact the specimen paper questions are almost certainly going to be more challenging than the exam paper will be. Learn whatever formulas you need to know off by heart is always a good start. I think I saw somewhere a maths GCSE paper designed for grade 9 students, maths is such a fundamentally important GCSE and one where questions are so simple to practice (compared to essay writing subjects) that there will always be something else, trust me.
tril3zus
Rep:
?
(Original post by psycholeo)
Although no past papers exist, somewhere or another on the internet there's unofficial answers for last year's papers (which were also new specification). Honestly, the questions aren't different, in fact the specimen paper questions are almost certainly going to be more challenging than the exam paper will be. Learn whatever formulas you need to know off by heart is always a good start. I think I saw somewhere a maths GCSE paper designed for grade 9 students, maths is such a fundamentally important GCSE and one where questions are so simple to practice (compared to essay writing subjects) that there will always be something else, trust me.
I forget to mention, Im doing as level year 12
psycholeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rebeccaksulisufi)
I forget to mention, Im doing as level year 12
People go on about maths from GCSE to A-Level (being first year) is a massive step-up, honestly it's not. A lot of the difficulty will be the same difficulty as the most difficult aspects of GCSE, but put the work in and you're sorted, what do you usually get in tests?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try other exam boards? There's probably a hefty overlap in the types of questions you get
tril3zus
Rep:
?
(Original post by psycholeo)
People go on about maths from GCSE to A-Level (being first year) is a massive step-up, honestly it's not. A lot of the difficulty will be the same difficulty as the most difficult aspects of GCSE, but put the work in and you're sorted, what do you usually get in tests?
I was getting A/B's at the start but in my last exam which was a proper practise paper from the exam board, i got a D, 1 mark from a C
psycholeo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rebeccaksulisufi)
I was getting A/B's at the start but in my last exam which was a proper practise paper from the exam board, i got a D, 1 mark from a C
How much did you revise for it? And did you get all the things where you went wrong?
Suprite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just do past papers for the old spec, they are very similar.
pinkypaz123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with Suprite - use past papers. With the exception of some things in C2 past papers like progressions, radians and trapezium rule, you can do every question there since they are in the new spec
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads