The Student Room Group

Dont know what to do!!!

I'm supposed to do my English presentation in a couple weeks and I don't know what to do. help me please, give me ideas
thanks
Reply 1
Hi, what is it for and is there any specific stuff you need to do for it?
Reply 2
hi yeah we were given topics that we could do but we can still do whatever we wanted to do
Choose a topic that you know about and that interests you. The actual subject matter is irrelevant. Two memorable presentations that I have listened to recently were about a hobby (dance) and a favourite place (Hong Kong). If it's a topic you are keen on this will come across in your speech and make the audience more interested.
Two other tips: plan, so that there is a clear structure. You can even explain this at the start - "First I'm going to talk to you about how I got started, and then about my greatest successes..."; use a powerpoint, show short video clips or bring in relevant items, but don't put lots of text on the screen. There's nothing more annoying than someone reading their speech off a screen that the audience have already read themselves.
Reply 4
thanks for the advice, definitely will be using this!
A good place to start, if you are really stuck, is YouTube. search under "TED talks". These are all short (15 mins) talks about all sorts of subjects. Watch some of these and take notes on how the speakers structure their talks and the techniques they use. For instance, how do they start? With an interesting story? A surprising fact? A rhetorical question? In what ways do they make sure the audience can follow along with their talk (powerpoint is not used at all during a TED talk). If you try and break these down into the component parts you might end up with something like this....

(1) opening - uses interesting quote. explains how why they disagree with this.
(2) story about their experience of why they disagree. Good factual information and statistics used.
(3) suggests counter-argument. Exposes why this is incorrect. Quotes recent study showing it is incorrect. Makes joke.
(4) sets out why their view is important to the UK and why we should pay attention. Explains health benefits if we do pay attention.
(5) Lists shocking facts - what will happen if we ignore their findings.
(6) sums up their key arguments again, leaves us with an interesting question to ponder.

If you write down for each talk some of the techniques that the speaker uses, it will help you to structure your own presentation. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending