The Student Room Group

Cambridge introduces "flexible" offer for Maths

Cambridge has adjusted their typical A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and III offer for entry 2019

Depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges may make an A Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in any two STEP papers or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in one of the two STEP papers taken.

Source: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/mathematics

The participating colleges are Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity Hall.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Dr Sam Lucy, director of admissions for Cambridge Colleges, said the change is aimed at encouraging “particularly women” to apply for the course.

“We are always keen to encourage more strong female mathematicians to apply to us,” she told The Telegraph.

“Unfortunately in the UK we do have these broader cultural issues around gender and mathematical confidence.”

It is also hoped that the move will also encourage more disadvantaged students to apply, especially those who are unfamiliar with the STEP tests.

"We are always interested in diversity of applicants people who are bright with lots of academic potential,” she said.

"Potentially anyone who is at school where you don’t have that kind of support [for STEP tests] I'm not going to say state schools, as there are huge variation. We have [a lot of detail about schools] in our admissions process, so we know the relative strengths of schools.”

“They are designed to see whether someone has sufficient mathematical ability to be able to cope with a degree at Cambridge,” Dr Lucy said.

“We know that a lot of candidates, particularly ones coming from less well supported backgrounds, see this as another challenge. They may well be on track for three A*s at A-level, but the STEP tests can look like a barrier.

“So this offers flexibility to make sure we are not losing out [on good candidates]. It is just offering that additional element of flexibility might be useful.

“The proposal came from the Maths Faculty. They are always looking for ways to make sure we are getting all the good applicants, and not putting people off from applying. This is one way of testing the water.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/21/cambridge-university-introduces-flexible-maths-offers-encourage/
'Depending on individuals circumstances'
Like what, being a female?
Interesting, I'll let my mum know. She actually loves mathematics.
Reply 3
Original post by Wolfram Alpha

"It is also hoped that the move will also encourage more disadvantaged students to apply, especially those who are unfamiliar with the STEP tests."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Cambridge has adjusted their typical A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and III offer for entry 2019

Depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges may make an A Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in any two STEP papers or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in one of the two STEP papers taken.

The participating colleges are Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity Hall.

In an interview with The Telegraph, Dr Sam Lucy, director of admissions for Cambridge Colleges, said the change is aimed at encouraging “particularly women” to apply for the course.

“We are always keen to encourage more strong female mathematicians to apply to us,” she told The Telegraph.

“Unfortunately in the UK we do have these broader cultural issues around gender and mathematical confidence.”

It is also hoped that the move will also encourage more disadvantaged students to apply, especially those who are unfamiliar with the STEP tests.

"We are always interested in diversity of applicants people who are bright with lots of academic potential,” she said.

"Potentially anyone who is at school where you don’t have that kind of support [for STEP tests] I'm not going to say state schools, as there are huge variation. We have [a lot of detail about schools] in our admissions process, so we know the relative strengths of schools.”

“They are designed to see whether someone has sufficient mathematical ability to be able to cope with a degree at Cambridge,” Dr Lucy said.

“We know that a lot of candidates, particularly ones coming from less well supported backgrounds, see this as another challenge. They may well be on track for three A*s at A-level, but the STEP tests can look like a barrier.

“So this offers flexibility to make sure we are not losing out [on good candidates]. It is just offering that additional element of flexibility might be useful.

“The proposal came from the Maths Faculty. They are always looking for ways to make sure we are getting all the good applicants, and not putting people off from applying. This is one way of testing the water.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/21/cambridge-university-introduces-flexible-maths-offers-encourage/

I'm not entirely clear about what the previous situation was, you seem to be comparing an old 'typical' offer with the new 'contextual' offer... wasn't context ever used to make offers lower than the typical offer before?

lol, looks that way
Original post by Mill Hill
Interesting, I'll let my mum know. She actually loves mathematics.

Never thought I'd meet a fan of Mill Hill School...
Never thought I'd meet a fan of Mill Hill School...

I used to live in North London in the Mill Hill area, hence the name. It sounds quite 'cosy' and nice.
Original post by Doonesbury

Smh A*A*A* with one 1 grade is easier than two 1 grades. Even my dumbass got those grades but struggled when I attempted an MAT paper lol

And it's well documented that high grades in Maths A Levels don't correlate as well with degree success for that subject relative to the other A Levels for other subjects

Despite what I said above Cambridge's attempt at social mobility is funny - make them get 3A* and a 1 in STEP probably doesn't diversify things noticeably
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
I'm not entirely clear about what the previous situation was, you seem to be comparing an old 'typical' offer with the new 'contextual' offer... wasn't context ever used to make offers lower than the typical offer before?

It's not me, it's Cambridge.

Anyway, I don't think previously you would have had an offer expressed flexibly like this?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Mill Hill
I used to live in North London in the Mill Hill area, hence the name. It sounds quite 'cosy' and nice.

Fair enough, thought you were referring to the private school which is awful! And Mill Hill does sound quite nice :biggrin:.
Reply 11
There's a little more info in the Maths Admissions pdf - NB. the 2 papers are still STEP II and III, it doesn't include STEP I:

Typical offers across Colleges are broadly the same, normally A*A*A at A-level plus conditions based on STEP papers II and III (with often at least a grade 1 required in both STEP papers). However, in order to take into account the background of individual applicants, Colleges are willing to be flexible in both assessing candidates and making offers. In particular, in the case of applicants from groups that are currently under-represented at Cambridge(1) , or those who have had to overcome significant educational disruption and/or socio-economic disadvantage, some Colleges(2) may make an A-Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in STEP II and III, or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in just one of the two STEP papers taken.

(1) Details of currently under-represented groups are detailed in the University Access Agreement available at: https://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/Final%20AA%20-%20University%20of%20Cambridge.pdf

(2) Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, Sidney Sussex, St Catherine’s, Trinity Hall.

Source: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/documents/admissionsguide.pdf

So it's not a huge change.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending