The Student Room Group

How to prevent pregnancy?

My boyfriend and I are very serious and would be ready for a baby but we don't want any kids because of personal reasons. He wears a condom but I'm not on the pill. If I were to get pregnant or if we realised that the condom ripped, what would I need to do to make sure I don't get pregnant? Is there a back up pill or something?
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I are very serious and would be ready for a baby but we don't want any kids because of personal reasons. He wears a condom but I'm not on the pill. If I were to get pregnant or if we realised that the condom ripped, what would I need to do to make sure I don't get pregnant? Is there a back up pill or something?

There is the morning after pill however this doesn't kill a fertilised egg, it only prevents ovulation. Are you able to go on the pill? That would be best tbh as that way you're "doubled up" as it were. However if you use a condom correctly on its own the chances of getting pregnancy are very very slim.

Morning pill u use the next day
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
There is the morning after pill however this doesn't kill a fertilised egg, it only prevents ovulation. Are you able to go on the pill? That would be best tbh as that way you're "doubled up" as it were. However if you use a condom correctly on its own the chances of getting pregnancy are very very slim.

So if we knew the condom ripped and I took the morning after pill, would it stop it 100%. Where would I get this?

and I can't take the pill because I have other medications which my gp said I can't combine them with.
So if we knew the condom ripped and I took the morning after pill, would it stop it 100%. Where would I get this?

and I can't take the pill because I have other medications which my gp said I can't combine them with.

pharmacies or your gp but if you can't take the pill itself that could mean you can't take the morning after pill either, there are non hormonal options like the coil which can be used as emergency contraception too.

In that case the morning after pill may not be an option too because of the hormones in that.. You can get the morning after pill from a pharmacy totally free. No contraception is 100%. If you have already ovulated then no it won't stop it because it's already happened. If the egg is already fertilised then no it wouldn't do anything.

What about the coil or implant as other methods? You really should talk to your GP about alternative contraception for you as they will know more than unqualified people on TSR.

Edit: don't take what I'm saying at 100% correct. This is only info that I have heard and my understanding of the morning after pill. I am not a GP nor do I have any medical background. This info could be incorrect or inaccuate (I hope not but it could be) so see your GP.
(edited 6 years ago)
The consequences of following information that is incorrect for your own circumstances, are too high. Go and discuss this with your GP to obtain the definitive range of options that best suit your own medical history.
Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending