gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know basically zilch about physics so this may seem like a really stupid/obvious question, but why do we refer to a field as a force field? Is it simply because a particle experiences a force in that field, or is it because there's more than one 'type' of field?
TobyLerone69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why is a field called a field?
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by TobyLerone69)
Why is a field called a field?
:dontknow:
Sataris
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, force fields are a type of vector field so named because a particle in them experiences a force, so you're right on both counts
TobyLerone69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
:dontknow:
Exactly
Deranging
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know basically zilch about physics so this may seem like a really stupid/obvious question, but why do we refer to a field as a force field? Is it simply because a particle experiences a force in that field, or is it because there's more than one 'type' of field?
In general a field in physics is just a quantity which takes a value at every point in space and time. There are many types of fields, electric and magnetic fields, temperature fields, force fields, quantum fields etc.

Why the word 'field'? Don't know, that's just what Faraday decided around 1850 to call such things and people liked it.
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sataris)
Well, force fields are a type of vector field so named because a particle in them experiences a force, so you're right on both counts
Ah cool thanks!

(Original post by Deranging)
In general a field in physics is just a quantity which takes a value at every point in space and time. There are many types of fields, electric and magnetic fields, temperature fields, force fields, quantum fields etc.

Why the word 'field'? Don't know, that's just what Faraday decided around 1850 to call such things and people liked it.
Oh I see, thank you for putting things into perspective! Never heard about temperature fields before Wouldn't electric and magnetic fields also be classified as force fields though? Or do 'force fields' apply to gravitational fields only?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah cool thanks!

Oh I see, thank you for putting things into perspective! Never heard about temperature fields before Wouldn't electric and magnetic fields also be classified as force fields though? Or do 'force fields' apply to gravitational fields only?
The term force is the big clue.

If the object or particle experiences a force to change it's state of rest or momentum, then it is within the 'field' of influence of whatever that force is.

The four fundamental forces projected at a distance are: gravitation, electromagnetic, strong nuclear and weak nuclear forces.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (8)
32%
I really love the subject (10)
40%
I don't know what else to do (5)
20%
I can't get a job (1)
4%
My parents want me to (1)
4%
I don't know... I just do (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise