PARKING FINE- do I have to pay?

Watch
Znxox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
So I basically booked a parking space online as I was attending a concert, however, even though my satnav took me there, I apparently parked in the wrong car space or something ?? (It is a private car park) (Very confusing because I’m still sure it’s the right one)
So I recieved a parking fine thru the post. I’ve read online that certain fines you don’t have to pay...im new to driving so I’m just curious as to whether it’s compulsory to pay mine and the likelihood of them taking me to court. The fine is by total car parks (PTC). It also says that they have requested information through DVLA and recieved that I’m the registered keeper...I do have pics of my letter but I’m unsure of how to post lol
Any help would be appreciated thx
TobyLerone69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are two ways to look at it;
1. You can ignore them, you haven't committed a crime you have just broken the contract you entered into when parking there. So if you ignore it they will send threatening letters in bold font and raise the price you pay. Eventually they'll either drop it or take you to a small claims court.
2. You can send them your information and attach evidence through the website on the back of your letter. They'll ignore any evidence you submit because they do and demand you pay them their parking fine (i'm guessing £42-50 going up to £75 after two weeks).

You don't have to pay them, but if you choose to ignore them you run a small risk of being taken to small claims court where you'll be forced to pay a higher amount and it'll affect your credit record.
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Znxox)
Hi,
So I basically booked a parking space online as I was attending a concert, however, even though my satnav took me there, I apparently parked in the wrong car space or something ?? (It is a private car park) (Very confusing because I’m still sure it’s the right one)
So I recieved a parking fine thru the post. I’ve read online that certain fines you don’t have to pay...im new to driving so I’m just curious as to whether it’s compulsory to pay mine and the likelihood of them taking me to court. The fine is by total car parks (PTC). It also says that they have requested information through DVLA and recieved that I’m the registered keeper...I do have pics of my letter but I’m unsure of how to post lol
Any help would be appreciated thx
TobyLerone's post above is basically correct. I would advise that you ignore the letter and, important: do not communicate with them in any way (or if you must talk to the parking company, make sure it's by a recorded phone call or letter sent by recorded delivery), as this gives them evidence to use against you. There's an over 90% chance they won't take you to court because it's not worth the trouble - they make most of their money from people who get frightened and decide to just pay up. If you do get to court, simply deny that you were the driver and they have no proof that you were, so their case will be dismissed.
TobyLerone69
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Prasiortle)
TobyLerone's post above is basically correct. I would advise that you ignore the letter and, important: do not communicate with them in any way (or if you must talk to the parking company, make sure it's by a recorded phone call or letter sent by recorded delivery), as this gives them evidence to use against you. There's an over 90% chance they won't take you to court because it's not worth the trouble - they make most of their money from people who get frightened and decide to just pay up. If you do get to court, simply deny that you were the driver and they have no proof that you were, so their case will be dismissed.
Yeah in the past i've made the mistake of contacting the company. Once you do that they have rights to take you to court because you have accepted that you are aware of the "offence"
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TobyLerone69)
Yeah in the past i've made the mistake of contacting the company. Once you do that they have rights to take you to court because you have accepted that you are aware of the "offence"
There's no offence here; it's a civil matter.

AngryJellyfish C&M please
TobyLerone69
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
There's no offence here; it's a civil matter.

AngryJellyfish C&M please
I know, i'm quoting words that these companies use against you- that basically attempt to make you feel like a criminal to coerce you into paying
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TobyLerone69)
I know, i'm quoting words that these companies use against you- that basically attempt to make you feel like a criminal to coerce you into paying
In theory, they can't tell you that you've committed an offence - they can subtly imply it (albeit morally wrong), but they can't explicitly state it.
Znxox
Rep:
?
Thank u all for your help...but I actually received the fine like a week ago and obviously panicked so I appealed and showed them my evidence of purchasing a ticket (even tho was for a diff street which I thought was the one I parked at) 🙃🙄 therefore I have contacted them...really wish I asked first
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Znxox)
Thank u all for your help...but I actually received the fine like a week ago and obviously panicked so I appealed and showed them my evidence of purchasing a ticket (even tho was for a diff street which I thought was the one I parked at) 🙃🙄 therefore I have contacted them...really wish I asked first
They still won't take you to court for it - just ignore them in future.
Znxox
Rep:
?
They still won't take you to court for it - just ignore them in future.
If they reject my appeal- would you just advise that I ignore the email?

Thank you !!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Znxox)
If they reject my appeal- would you just advise that I ignore the email?

Thank you !!
Yep.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just curious, did you really park in the 'wrong' place? If its a private car park, is it possible someones sublet you their space and not thought it through? I'd be getting in touch with them to clarify where the space was and expecting a refund/fine payment if it was the right one (I dunno what actual RIGHTS you have to one, but i'd be hassling them for it anyway)

But yeah, I wouldn't talk to the parking folk if possible either, if I was pressed i'd just say i disputed their information and leave it at that.
trident3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want expert advice then have a look at the website pepipoo.com which advertises itself as "Helping the motorist get justice". There is a forum specifically for parking charges.

T3
Znxox
Rep:
?
Update for anyone who is still interested-
After I appealed, I have just recieved an email telling me that it’s my fault etc
However they then offer me a reduced offer of £10 😂
I don’t really know why they would offer me a reduced offer if they think I’m in the wrong ? But anyways I might just pay it as it’s only a tenner lol
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Znxox)
Update for anyone who is still interested-
After I appealed, I have just recieved an email telling me that it’s my fault etc
However they then offer me a reduced offer of £10 😂
I don’t really know why they would offer me a reduced offer if they think I’m in the wrong ? But anyways I might just pay it as it’s only a tenner lol
What did they say you did wrong?

I would pay the £10 too, just to stop them hounding you for the next couple of years.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...rking-tickets/

I'd just pay the reduced fine imho.
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...rking-tickets/

I'd just pay the reduced fine imho.
NO, do not pay them! Let them go to court as they virtually never win, since they make a multitude of errors with their signs and their paperwork that mean that their alleged "contract" is not validly formed. See the many threads at
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...ng-Enforcement
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
NO, do not pay them! Let them go to court as they virtually never win, since they make a multitude of errors with their signs and their paperwork that mean that their alleged "contract" is not validly formed. See the many threads at
https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.u...ng-Enforcement
£10 to avoid a year or two of harassment doesn't exactly break the bank.
Prasiortle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
£10 to avoid a year or two of harassment doesn't exactly break the bank.
Sure it doesn't, but it does further enrich these companies who are just resurrected versions of the old cowboy clamping companies after clamping got banned in 2012. If you want to support their unlawful business model, then you go ahead, but the only principled position is mine.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure it doesn't, but it does further enrich these companies who are just resurrected versions of the old cowboy clamping companies after clamping got banned in 2012. If you want to support their unlawful business model, then you go ahead, but the only principled position is mine.
Sure it is...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads