Turn on thread page Beta

Degree Apprenticeship age? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m in my first year of college and I want to start a degree apprenticeship for IT once I’ve finished college. However I can be quiet shy and find it hard to make new friends. My parents therefore are saying it’s a bad idea as I probably won’t make any friends and the company will be loads of middle aged men. Especially if I am moving across England to a new place where I don’t know anyone, I don’t think I will fit in well the whole 3 or 4 years that I will be there. Therefore i was wondering if there will mainly be middle aged men or if there will be loads of other apprentices and people my age (18) that are also there or if I will really struggle. Therefore will I be better off only going to uni to make more friends? Otherwise I worry about spending every lunchtime by myself as I won’t know anyone my age.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SaturnAndSun)
    Hey, I’m in my first year of college and I want to start a degree apprenticeship for IT once I’ve finished college. However I can be quiet shy and find it hard to make new friends. My parents therefore are saying it’s a bad idea as I probably won’t make any friends and the company will be loads of middle aged men. Especially if I am moving across England to a new place where I don’t know anyone, I don’t think I will fit in well the whole 3 or 4 years that I will be there. Therefore i was wondering if there will mainly be middle aged men or if there will be loads of other apprentices and people my age (18) that are also there or if I will really struggle. Therefore will I be better off only going to uni to make more friends? Otherwise I worry about spending every lunchtime by myself as I won’t know anyone my age.
    Have you had the interview and looked around?
    Have you been offered the job?
    Maybe there are other apprentices?
    It can be difficult in a new workplace, but you can make friends and age is irrelevant if the people are nice. nothing to stop you taking up a hobby or interest outside work and meeting younger people that way.

DA makes sense to save £50k+ gain experience + make money.
    If its a good company.
    If its in the area you want.

Uni is great for some people and not all its cracked up to be for many others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaturnAndSun)
    Hey there! If you apply for those apprenticeship programmes at medium to large size companies, you usually get a good mix of apprentices to group together with. However, I do admit that the majority of people that I work with are twice or even thrice my age. I do make the effort to speak with graduates and other apprentices during the lunch break, but I do know some apprentices that prefer to spend lunch alone. I get along with those that are around my Dad's age or older and we go on walks sometimes. It really isn't that bad, depends on the type of person you are.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.