A Streetcar Named Desire - Dramatic Methods Watch

kjackson_1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
HELP!

My English Lit teacher got my class to make notes on dramatic methods in ASCND independently but I really struggled to find and analyse them! Always get told in practise essays that I don't refer to dramatic methods enough but its because I don't have good notes to study from!

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction as I’m really stuck - Looking for any good revision guides or notes that give good detail on dramatic methods in the play!

All help appreciated! 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Issakatie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
We've only just started snd but we had to do this as a hw (of the first couple scenes but I have read the whole book). Some I can think of are the stage directions (like Stanley looking ominous) which adds tension or layers to a character and how they're feeling. There's also the cat screeching which again usually siigifies the climax of tension and reveals Blanche to be very nervous and jumpy. The music (can't remember which way round it is) but one only blanche and the audience hears which brings the audience closer to her and hints that she has stuff going on underneath before it's revealed. The other music presents new Orleans as this chilled out place which kinda juxtaposes with the anger arguments and tension between Stanley/stella/Blanche and also the other people like the ones who live above and argue or something. V tired & in bed rn lol if you Need any other ideas let me know when I'm awake
katherine445
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Plastic theatre is streetcars most notable dramatic method have a look at that!

This website explains it well;
http://isc12lit.blogspot.hk/2015/02/...c-theater.html
kjackson_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Issakatie)
We've only just started snd but we had to do this as a hw (of the first couple scenes but I have read the whole book). Some I can think of are the stage directions (like Stanley looking ominous) which adds tension or layers to a character and how they're feeling. There's also the cat screeching which again usually siigifies the climax of tension and reveals Blanche to be very nervous and jumpy. The music (can't remember which way round it is) but one only blanche and the audience hears which brings the audience closer to her and hints that she has stuff going on underneath before it's revealed. The other music presents new Orleans as this chilled out place which kinda juxtaposes with the anger arguments and tension between Stanley/stella/Blanche and also the other people like the ones who live above and argue or something. V tired & in bed rn lol if you Need any other ideas let me know when I'm awake
Thank you so much! That's so helpful as a starting point to looking at the rest of the play from!
kjackson_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by katherine445)
Plastic theatre is streetcars most notable dramatic method have a look at that!

This website explains it well;
http://isc12lit.blogspot.hk/2015/02/...c-theater.html
Thank you! I'll definitely check that out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads