The Student Room Group

Knee collapse in cricket bowling

Yesterday I bowled for the first time in 2 years. I used to play county cricket and was a seam bowler.

I want to try for my university team when I start in October and whilst my pace has improved and my overall form is better with regard to arm height and follow through, I noticed I still lose a lot of height as my front knee bends a lot on delivery. I'm only 5ft8 and so don't really want to lose height in delivering the ball

I've been focusing a lot on overall fitness and strength during my time off and was wondering whether my knee collapse is due to a weak knee? I used to have this problem when I was at county level and I want to improve it so I can make the ball bounce more - any suggestions as to what I can do?
is it your front leg?

Bending of the front knee is part of most bowling actions, and it lets you spread your weight through your action. I would say if you are looking to gain pace that it comes more from your shoulder and wrist, than from your legs?

Height would say more straight back and getting your front (left) arm as high as possible, rather than straighten your front leg. You will also start to feel excess pressure of your left knee if you keep on doing this? (depends on what arm you bowl with)

Squats and Lunges are good for cricketers in general as it increases strength, so that would help?
Could balance those with abdominal stretching exercises as well so like medicine ball sit ups?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest