Turn on thread page Beta

We're the House of Commons Digital Outreach Team: Ask us Anything! watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello! :wavey:

We’re the House of Commons Digital Outreach Team (DOT) and we look after this Official House of Commons TSR account and the House of Commons social media accounts. You might have seen us post about debates we think you might be interested or ask for your views on select committee inquiries but now we’re here to answer your questions.

What’s an Order Paper? Why do MPs not use each other’s names? Where do they disappear off to when they go to vote? And what on earth is the mace used for?!

Ask us anything you’ve always wanted to know about the work, history and membership of the House of Commons and together with our colleagues in the House of Commons Enquiry Service, we’ll be here between 10am and 4pm on Thursday 26 April to answer as many as possible. No question is too small or too big (but we might need a couple of days to go and research the tougher ones!).

We’re looking forward to hearing from you!

DOT

ReputationRep:
    The Conservative election campaign of 2017 outlined a commitment to improving the lives of Ordinary Working Families. To what extent has government policy reflected this commitment?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What's the most bizarre tradition (or anything in general) you've seen working in the house of commons?

ReputationRep:
    Why is filibustering still a thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Official House of Commons)

We’re the House of Commons Digital Outreach Team (DOT) and we look after this Official House of Commons TSR account and the House of Commons social media accounts. You might have seen us post about debates we think you might be interested or ask for your views on select committee inquiries but now we’re here to answer your questions.

What’s an Order Paper? Why do MPs not use each other’s names? Where do they disappear off to when they go to vote? And what on earth is the mace used for?!

Ask us anything you’ve always wanted to know about the work, history and membership of the House of Commons and together with our colleagues in the House of Commons Enquiry Service, we’ll be here between 10am and 4pm on Thursday 26 April to answer as many as possible. No question is too small or too big (but we might need a couple of days to go and research the tougher ones!).

DOT
    Is it true that studying PPE at Oxford automatically makes you an MP and probably a cabinet member?

ReputationRep:
    I used to work as a researcher for one of the Select Committees in the House of Commons in a different life. How would you say the role and presence of Select Committees has changed in the last decade?

ReputationRep:
    Gosh - there was me thinking the Digital Outreach Team might have something to do with pushing the agenda of a digital world. I was going to ask why it is that fewer students are studying computing at GCSE compared with 5 years ago but I guess you are just a marketing department that answers knowledge based questions about Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    How can I turn my parent's house into its own constituency? I live in a house where everybody (eligible) voted for me to be the MP of this house-constituency but I haven't got recognition, this is undemocratic! I was the only candidate that signed up to be an MP so I was UNOPPOSED, nobody else signed up and I voted for myself therefore I got the highest vote but my Politics teacher goes "noooo Sufi, that's not how it works."

Spoiler:
    Show

Come on man, even my pet cat Abdullah, voted for me.

ReputationRep:
    Haha posting on TSR they’re going to be half engaged/roasted in political debate and half memed to death. It’s going to be amazing
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why are MP’s allowed to get away with behaving extremely immature in ‘debate’ like a bunch of schoolchildren? It wouldn’t be allowed anywhere elsewhere in debate, or life for that matter, so why are some of the leading decision makers of the country- supposed experts in debate (it is their job after all) allowed to do it? If I was speaker I would put that mace to good use...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Why is filibustering still a thing?
    This. That poor, poor, votes at 16 petition debate that got filibustered out. Completely undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    For want of a better phrase, how 'in touch' do you think MP's really are with the working/ lower middle class?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

DOT
    How excited were you when The Hon. Jacob Rees Mogg MP used the word 'floccinaucinihilipilification' in the chamber?

ReputationRep:
    Why do they support British intelligence in sick, arbitrary human rights abuses on their own people, all while criminals and terrorists get pathetic, soft treatment in this country?

ReputationRep:
    How do you come to work for an MP in the Commons? Is it a fairly regular process or is it more about work in your political party and contacts?

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me why taxpayer money has been wasted on your salary?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What occurs, on your end, during 'purdah'?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador

DOT
    Do you offer work experience for A level students etc.? I would love to do that, I'm doing politics A level, and very interested in politics!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How difficult do you find it to remain politically neutral in your marketing?

What is the funniest part of your job?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JMR2018)
    Do you offer work experience for A level students etc.? I would love to do that, I'm doing politics A level, and very interested in politics!
    If they don't, you could always e-mail your MP asking for some work experience at their Westminister office.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.